|It’s been a busy couple of weeks at the NC General Assembly attending meetings, meeting with constituents and networking with organizations that I hope will be able to help District 93 grow and prosper. I want to thank everyone I met with for teaching me something about the district and letting me share with them my ideas for improving Ashe and Watauga counties.
I was recently appointed to the Appropriations Transportation Subcommittee which meets every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning. I’ve learned a lot about sources of funding for transportation needs in the state and how that money is spent.
· Attended panel discussion on ERA ratification.
· NC Advocates for Justice legislative reception.
· Legislative breakfast with representatives from the Methodist Home for Children.
· Meeting with Dr. Mark Poarch and Trustees from Caldwell Community College & Technical Institute.
· Meeting with representative of the NC League of Municipalities to discuss expansion of broadband in rural areas on North Carolina.
· Meeting with Michael Pettyjohn, Division 11 Engineer with the NC Department of Transportation, about projects in District 93.
· Meeting with John Ward, Boone town manager, to discuss areas of general interest.
· Town Hall with residents and officials of Blowing Rock.
· Local meeting with Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense.
· Several meetings with the district NCDOT engineer about local transportation projects and constituent concerns.
· Legislative breakfast sponsored by State Farm where I met with local agents.
· House Transportation Committee meetings.
· Legislative breakfast with the NC Rehabilitation Association.
· House Elections and Ethics Law Committee meeting.
· NC Legislative Family Code Night. Parents brought their children to learn about computer coding. The kids did just great; it was the parents who learned from their children!
· NC Travel and Tourism breakfast where I learned a lot about the Visit NC ad campaign and the economic impact the industry has on the state.
· Sat in on a presentation of the Status of Women Report on Employment and Earnings.
· NC Criminal Justice Summit in Chapel Hill.
· Met with Chris Chung, CEO of the Economic Development Partnership of NC, on prospects for District 93.
· Down Syndrome Advocacy Day legislative breakfast, where I talked with an inspiring young man named Matthew Schwab. Matthew has Down Syndrome and works and is active in his community. He doesn’t let Down Syndrome define him.
· Met with local representatives from the NC Association of Pharmacists.
· Met with representatives from Blue Ridge Energy and attended the NC Electric Cooperatives legislative reception
· Attended the American Association for Suicide Prevention legislative reception and award ceremony.
· Met with presidents and board members of the Ashe and Watauga Farm Bureau and participated in the NC General Assembly Ag Day.
· Attended the NC Technology Association legislative breakfast.
· Met with High Country Home Builders Association.
· Town Hall at Watauga Medical Center on Medicaid expansion.
· Attended a legislative reception for NC Independent Colleges & Universities.
· Met with Angie Chandler and Millie Barbee of the Blue Ridge National Heritage Area.
· Met with volunteers from the Watauga Audubon Society.
· Attended the NC Rural Day reception.
· Met with Diana Cameron of the Blowing Rock Arts and History Museum.
· Attended a reception hosted by the NC District Attorneys Association and chatted with our local DA Seth Banks.
· Attended the NC Association of Regional Council of Governments reception and visited with our local officials from Region D (High Country Council of Governments).
· Interacted with second graders at Mountain View Elementary School who were graduating from the Ashe County Cooperative Extension’s Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.