BOONE, N.C. – Appalachian State University men’s tennis (4-14) collected the doubles point against UNCG (6-10), but it wasn’t enough in a 4-2 setback on Tuesday afternoon at the Deer Valley Racquet Club.
App State got off to a strong start in the early goings of the contest with Alex Brea (Charlotte, N.C./Providence Day) and Campbell Stone (Raleigh, N.C./Needham B. Broughton) netting their team-high sixth doubles triumph of the season with a 6-3 win over Eric Whisnant/Roger Rogowski.
After the visitors tied up the doubles portion of the contest on Court No. 1, Zion Heaven (Ewa Beach, Hi/Florida Virtual) and Ben Webster (Perth, Australia/Scotch College) gave the Black and Gold a 1-0 advantage following their 6-4 win against Hugh Knapp/Jack Burkill.
The Spartans captured four of the five finished singles matches, but three of those matches went to three sets.
UNCG tied up the contest after Heaven fell on Court No.3, 6-4, 6-4. Milo Bargeron (Chislehurst, England/Bullerswood) defeated Nico Grewe in three sets with Grewe retiring when Bargeron was up 4-0 in the third frame.
It was the lone singles victory for the Mountaineers. Alex Pavkovich (Queensland, Australia/Mansfield State) fought back from a one-set deficit, 6-4, before forcing a deciding third set with his 7-5 second-frame triumph. Pavkovich’s comeback stopped in the third frame, as he fell to Palmer, 6-3.
Webster also fought valiantly, falling in the first set by a narrow 7-6 (8-6) tiebreak. He followed that up with a convincing 6-1 second-stanza victory. However, the sophomore fell to Rogowski in the final set, 6-4.
Afonso Viana (Rua Deviera, Portugal/Cebes Porto Portugal) suffered a three-set defeat to Burkill, but not before he made things interesting with his second-set win. Viana was unable to build off the momentum in the third set, where he was topped by his counterpart, 6-1.
App State will host Louisiana on Friday at 1 p.m. in the of two Sun Belt home matches this weekend.
1. Milo Bargeron (APP) def. Nico Grewe (UNCGM) 4-6, 6-3, 4-0, retired
2. Ollie Palmer (UNCGM) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
3. Hugh Knapp (UNCGM) def. Zion Heaven (APP) 6-4, 6-4
4. Roger Rogowski (UNCGM) def. Ben Webster (APP) 7-6 (8-6), 1-6, 6-4
5. Jack Burkill (UNCGM) def. Afonso Viana (APP) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
6. Blake Carter (APP) vs. Cooper Wyett (UNCGM) 6-7 (1-7), 2-2, unfinished
1. Grewe/Palmer (UNCGM) def. Bargeron/Pavkovich (APP) 6-2
2. Heaven/Webster (APP) def. Knapp/Burkill (UNCGM) 6-4
3. Brea/Stone (APP) def. Whisnant/Rogowski (UNCGM) 6-3