TROY, Ala. – Appalachian State University men’s tennis (4-13, 0-2 SBC) suffered a 6-1 decision to Troy (15-2, 1-1 SBC) on Sunday afternoon at the Lunsford Tennis Complex.
Freshman Zion Heaven (Ewa Beach, HI/Florida Virtual) highlighted the day for App, as he was the lone Mountaineer to tally a point. Heaven defeated Bernard Manuel in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5, for his fifth win of the season, which is tied for the team lead in singles play.
App State fell in the doubles portion but pushed the Trojans to the brink. Milo Bargeron (Chislehurst, England/Bullerswood)/Alex Pavkovich (Queensland, Australia/Mansfield State) were edged by Christoper Tasker/Jorge Poyatos, 7-5, while Heaven and Ben Webster (Perth, Australia/Scotch College) narrowly fell to Pelayo Antuna/Jiaqi Duan, 7-5.
The Trojans captured five of the six singles matches to seal the win, keeping the Mountaineers from gaining any momentum. Campbell Stone (Raleigh, N.C./Needham B. Broughton) did take his match to three sets. The senior won the first frame, 6-2, but fell in the next two sets.
App State returns home for a Tuesday contest against UNCG. First serve is set for 2 p.m.
1. Pelayo Antuna (TROY) def. Milo Bargeron (APP) 7-6, 6-3
2. Oskar Michalek (TROY) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-3, 7-5
3. Ziaon (APP) def. Manuel Bernard (TROY) 6-2, 7-5
4. Jiaqi Duan (TROY) def. Ben Webster (APP) 6-0, 6-3
5. Christoper Tasker (TROY) def. Afonso Viana (APP) 6-1, 6-2
6. Antonio Selma (TROY) def. Campbell Stone (APP) 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
1. Tasker/Poyatos, (TROY) def. Bargeron/Pavkovich (APP) 7-5
2. Antuna/Duan (TROY) def. Heaven/Webster (APP) 7-5
3. Bernard/Michalek (TROY) vs. Brea/Stone (APP) unfinished