ROCK HILL, S.C. – Appalachian State University men’s tennis (4-11) suffered a 5-2 defeat to Winthrop (7-5) at the Rock Hill Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The Mountaineers fell behind early after the Eagles secured the doubles point. Appalachian’s No. 1 doubles pairing of Milo Bargeron (Chislehurst, England/Bullerswood) and Alex Pavkovich (Queensland, Australia/Mansfield State) were tied 5-5 before the match went unfinished.
In singles, two freshmen notched victories for the Mountaineers.
Zion Heaven (Ewa Beach, Hawaii/Florida Virtual) dispatched Winthrop’s Alberto Tinagli in straight sets 6-3, 6-3. Fellow freshman Afonso Viana (Rua Deviera, Portugal/Cebes Porto Portugal) recorded Appalachian’s second point in a three-set triumph. After cruising to a 6-1 win in the first set, Viana rebounded after a loss in the second set to win his match 6-1, 4-6, 6-2.
With their victories on the road, Heaven and Viana both registered their fourth wins of the spring campaign.
Bargeron won the first set in his match 6-3, but the Eagles’ No. 1, Diego Quiroz, responded in sets two and three to beat Bargeron 3-6, 7-5, 6-1. Campbell Stone (Raleigh, N.C./Broughton) also pushed his match into the third set after a 7-5 victory in the second set.
The Mountaineers return to the court on March 23 when they begin Sun Belt Conference play at South Alabama. First serve is set for 10 a.m. in Mobile, Ala.
1. Diego Quiroz (WIN) def. Milo Bargeron (APP) 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Connor Williamson (WIN) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-1, 6-4
3. Gabriel Dias (WIN) def. Ben Webster (Perth, Australia/Scotch College) (APP) 6-1, retired
4. Zion Heaven (APP) def. Alberto Tinagli (WIN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Afonso Viana (APP) def. Aditya Gokhale (WIN) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
6. Lluis Miralles (WIN) def. Campbell Stone (APP) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
1. Williamson/Quiroz (WIN) vs. Bargeron/Pavkovich (APP) 5-5, unfinished
2. Tinagli/Gokhale (WIN) def. Heaven/Wester (APP) 6-3
3. Dias/Miralles (WIN) def. Alex Brea (Charlotte, N.C./Providence Day)/Stone (APP) 6-4
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (3,2,4,1,5,6)