AP Sports

AP Scorecard
November 5, 2020
AP Entertainment
November 5, 2020
AP Sports

 

 

Update on the latest sports

 

NFL-NEWS
49ers shut facility after player tests positive
UNDATED (AP) – The San Francisco 49ers have shut down their facility after receiver Kendrick Bourne tested positive for the coronavirus. The team said the positive test came back Wednesday morning and Bourne immediately went into self-quarantine after getting the diagnosis. He was later placed on the COVID-19 list.
The team’s game against Green Bay on Thursday night is still set to be played, according to a person familiar with the plans.
The Packers are also dealing with coronavirus issues. Running backs A.J. Dillon and Jamaal Williams are on the COVID-19 list.
San Francisco will also be missing several key players Thursday due to injuries. They include Jimmy Garoppolo (gah-RAH’-puh-loh), George Kittle, Raheem Mostert, Nick Bosa and Richard Sherman.

 

In other NFL news:
– The Houston Texans have closed their facility and will conduct all operations virtually after learning a player tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday night. The team says the player is self-isolating and they have started contract tracing. Houston is scheduled to travel to play Jacksonville on Sunday. This positive test comes after they also had to shut down their facility during their bye last week after another player tested positive. Interim coach Romeo Crennel said that the facility underwent a deep cleaning after that test and that they resumed normal operations on Monday.

 

– Two more Denver Broncos players have been placed on the NFL’s COVID-19/reserve list. They are starting defensive end Shelby Harris and practice squad offensive lineman Darrin Paulo. Harris came into close contact with an infected individual and self-reported. He will have to have five consecutive days of negative coronavirus tests to be able to return to the team. Paulo is infected with the novel coronavirus. Both players are isolating at their homes. The Broncos have now had three players, three assistant coaches and two executives go under COVID-19 protocols in the past 2 1/2 weeks.

 

– Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford has been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list. The list was created for players who test positive for the coronavirus or who have been in close contact with anyone infected. The Lions put linebacker Jarrad Davis on the list the previous day. Before the Lions announced Stafford’s status, coach Matt Patricia said there was no need to shut down the team’s training facility.

 

– The Baltimore Ravens are short-handed at practice this week after moving two starting offensive linemen to injured reserve and placing eight players on the COVID-19 reserve list. For Sunday’s AFC clash against the Indianapolis Colts, Baltimore will be without left offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley and right guard Tyre Phillips, who are on injured reserve. Baltimore also must find a replacement for All-Pro cornerback Marlon Humphrey, who has tested positive for the coronavirus. If the other seven players on the reserve/COVID-19 list test negative on Saturday, they can face the Colts.

 

– The Chicago Bears could be missing four starters on their offensive line when they visit the Tennessee Titans this week, after placing right tackle Bobby Massie on injured reserve and right guard Germain Ifedi on the Reserve/COVID-19 list on Tuesday. The Bears also placed backup tackle Jason Spriggs on the COVID list.

 

– Mitchell Trubisky’s brief appearance last week was a painful one for the Chicago Bears’ former starting quarterback. Trubisky injured his right shoulder when he was tackled running the ball on his lone snap in an overtime loss to the New Orleans Saints. Trubisky came on in the first quarter on Sunday in his first appearance since he was replaced by Nick Foles during the Week 3 win at Atlanta. Coach Matt Nagy says Trubisky is rehabbing and the Bears aren’t sure how long he will be sidelined.

 

– The Miami Dolphins’ top two running backs are sidelined by injuries. Myles Gaskin sat out Wednesday’s practice with a knee injury that could sideline him for several weeks, and Matt Breida is nursing a hamstring injury. Gaskin has been the Dolphins’ best backfield threat with 585 yards rushing and receiving, but they rank 28th in the NFL in rushing and next to last in yards per attempt at 3.6. The injuries could mean more playing time Sunday at Arizona for Jordan Howard.

 

– Panthers coach Matt Rhule is “very hopeful” Christian McCaffrey will play Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs after the running back went through his first padded practice on Wednesday since Week 2. He’s still listed as designated to return from injured reserve, so he wasn’t given an injury designation after practice.

 

– Cleveland Browns star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has surgery scheduled to repair a torn knee ligament that ended his season. Andrew Berry, the team’s general manager and executive vice president, said Beckham will have the procedure “early next week.” Beckham tore a knee ligament in an Oct. 25 game at Cincinnati. Beckham’s loss is a major blow to the Browns, who have a bye this week and host Houston on Nov. 15. While there is continued speculation about Beckham’s future, Berry said he still sees the three-time Pro Bowler as part of the club’s long-term plans.

 

– The New York Giants have acquired wide receiver Dante Pettis on waivers from the San Francisco 49ers. The Giants announced the move late Wednesday, a day after Pettis was released by the Niners. Pettis will be in the six-day COVID-19 protocol so he will not count on the roster. He will be eligible to play when the Giants host the Philadelphia Eagles on Nov. 15.

 

– In a string of moves this week, the Tennessee Titans released outside linebacker Vic Beasley Jr. Some bad snaps also cost long snapper Beau Brinkley his job. General manager Jon Robinson says the team made the moves to help win games, not send messages.

 

– NFL and NFL Players Association data for the week of Oct. 25-31 show eight new confirmed positive COVIC-19 tests among players, and 17 new confirmed positives among other personnel. A total of 42,916 tests were administered to 7,884 players and team personnel. There were 16,814 tests administered to 2,511 players; 26,102 tests were administered to 5,373 personnel.

 

MLB-NEWS
Bauer’s agent says he is rejecting $18.M qualifying offer
UNDATED (AP) – Trevor Bauer’s agent says the pitcher is rejecting the Cincinnati Reds’ $18.9 million qualifying offer.
The 29 year old right-hander was given the offer on Sunday and had until Nov. 11 to make his decision. Bauer was 5-4 with a National League-leading 1.73 ERA, striking out 100 and walking 17 in 73 innings.
Bauer was among six players given qualifying offers, joined by George Springer, DJ LeMahieu, J.T. Realmuto, Marcus Stroman and Kevin Gausman.

 

In other MLB news:
– Ed Sedar is transitioning into a new role as an adviser to the Brewers’ coaching staff after working as a first-base or third-base coach in Milwaukee for the last 14 seasons. That move marked the biggest change as the Brewers announced their 2021 coaching staff Wednesday. Sedar had been the Brewers’ first-base coach from 2007-10 and third-base coach from 2011-20. Quintin Berry will take over as a base coach next season after working as the Brewers’ minor league outfielder and baserunning coordinator from 2019-20.

 

NHL-NEWS
Stars standouts Seguin, Bishop face 5-month surgery rehabs
UNDATED (AP) – Dallas Stars center Tyler Seguin (SAY’-gihn) and goaltender Ben Bishop both face about five months of rehabilitation and recovery after surgery. Seguin had surgery Monday in New York to repair a torn labrum in his hip. The six-time All-Star played with the injury during the Stanley Cup playoffs for the Western Conference champions. Bishop had surgery Oct. 21 in Missouri to repair torn meniscus in his right knee. He also had surgery in May and didn’t play after a first-round playoff game against Colorado on Aug. 31.
Seguin led the team with 50 points in the regular season. The six-time All-Star had two goals and 11 assists in 26 playoff games, with no goals and six assists the last 15 games.
Bishop didn’t play after a first-round playoff game against Colorado on Aug. 31 because he never fully recovered from a previous knee surgery in May during the season’s 4 1/2-month pause because of the coronavirus pandemic. Bishop has three years left on his $29.5 million, six-year contract.

 

In other NHL news:
– The New York Islanders and restricted free agent defenseman Ryan Pulock have agreed to terms on a two-year deal. The Islanders and the 26-year-old Pulock reached the deal on Wednesday, avoiding an arbitration hearing. Pulock had 10 goals and 25 assists in 68 games last season. The first-round draft pick in 2013 added two goals and eight assists in 22 playoff games as the Islanders made it to the Eastern Conference final. Pulock led Islanders defensemen in scoring in each of the past two seasons. He has 31 goals and 77 assists in 234 NHL games.

 

TENNIS-PARIS MASTERS-NADAL
Nadal earns 1,000th win, reaches 3rd round at Paris Masters
PARIS (AP) – Rafael Nadal has become only the fourth man to reach 1,000 career wins after beating fellow Spanish veteran Feliciano Lopez 4-6, 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the second round of the Paris Masters.
The 20-time Grand Slam champion joined Jimmy Connors, Roger Federer and Ivan Lendl as the only male players to reach the 1,000-win mark since the Open era began in 1968.
The 34-year-old Nadal achieved a double milestone in Paris this year having won the French Open last month to tie Federer on 20 major titles.

 

COLLEGE FOOTBALL-NEWS
Louisville-Virginia postponed due to Cardinals’ virus cases
UNDATED (AP) – Louisville has paused all football activities and its Saturday game at Virginia has been postponed at least a week due to a spike in COVID-19 cases. Louisville’s athletic director says the program has 10 players who have tested positive for COVID-19 and five players in quarantine because of contact tracing. Nine Louisville players, mostly on defense, were held out of last week’s 42-35 loss to Virginia Tech. Coach Scott Satterfield said afterward that some of the absences were COVID-19-related.

 

PGA-JOHNSON
Johnson back following COVID-19 and trying to play catch-up
HOUSTON (AP) – Dustin Johnson is playing the Houston Open as his final preparation for the Masters. He just didn’t realize it would amount to a crash course. Johnson recovered from COVID-19, which knocked him out of two big tournaments in Las Vegas and California.
This will be his first competition since he tied for sixth in the U.S. Open on Sept. 20.
The one upside is that Johnson doesn’t have to be tested for the coronavirus again for three months. Considering he still doesn’t know how he caught the virus, he says he would be nervous if he had to wait on the result at Augusta.

 

HORSE RACING-US SENATE
Horse racing seeking to implement variety of safety reforms
UNDATED (AP) – A movement is underway in horse racing to clean up the sport by enacting uniform safety standards that everyone in the industry would have to abide by. An integrity and safety bill is being reviewed by the U.S. Senate that could put national standards in place by the start of 2022.
Meanwhile, different states and tracks are implementing rules to address concerns about doping, medication and optics. National rules would make it safer for horses and level the playing field for all involved and could preserve the long-term health of the sport.
The rules include eliminating performance-enhancing substances, restricting the use of an anti-bleeding medication and placing limits on the use of a bronchodilator that can enhance muscle development. There would also be restrictions on how – and how many times – a jockey can whip a horse consecutively during a race.

 

 

AP-WF-11-05-20 1400GMT