Update on the latest sports
Indians starter Mike Clevinger to have knee surgery
UNDATED (AP) – The Cleveland Indians have already suffered a blow in spring training.
Starter Mike Clevinger (KLEH’-vihn-jur) injured his left knee during a workout in Arizona and will have surgery. The team says he tore cartilage Wednesday and a timetable for his return will be set after the operation.
The right-hander won 13 games last season. The Indians are counting on him to have an even larger role after two-time Cy Young winner Corey Kluber was traded this winter to Texas. Clevinger has won 38 games over the past three seasons.
Clevinger has won 38 games over the past three seasons. He made 21 starts in 2019, but missed time early in the year with a strained back muscle. The 29-year-old had a 2.71 ERA last season.
Clevinger avoided salary arbitration by signing a $4.1 million contract for this season.
Also, the Indians signed free-agent outfielder Domingo Santana to a contract for 2020. He played for Seattle last season, batting .253 with 21 homers and 69 RBIs in 121 games. The 27-year-old Santana missed 24 games in August and September with an injured right elbow.
In other MLB news:
– The Atlanta Braves have signed first baseman Yonder Alonso to a minor league contract with an invitation to the major league spring training. The 32-year-old Alonso gives the Braves depth behind Freddie Freeman, who had surgery in October on his right elbow. Freeman said last month he has no pain in the elbow and will be ready when position players report on Monday. Alonso hit a combined .199 with 10 home runs and 37 RBIs with Colorado and the Chicago White Sox in 2019. He hit .260 in 54 games with the Rockies. Alonso drove in 83 runs, setting a career high, while hitting .250 with 23 homers for Cleveland in 2018. He made the 2017 AL All-Star team with Oakland. Alonso has a .259 career batting average in 10 seasons. He made his debut with Cincinnati in 2010 and played four seasons with San Diego.
LPGA-WOMEN’S AUSTRALIAN OPEN
7-time major champion Inbee Park tied for lead Down Under
ADELAIDE, Australia (AP) – Seven-time major champion Inbee Park moved into contention for her 20th LPGA Tour victory on Friday by taking a share of the second-round lead at the Women’s Australian Open.
Park shot 4-under 69 to put her at 10-under 136 at Royal Adelaide, level with first-round leader Jodi Ewart Shadoff (70).
After an afternoon of misty rain and wind gusts up to 20 mph, Ewart Shadoff joined Park at the top of the leaderboard. Two early bogeys dropped the Englishwoman off the pace, but she rallied with five birdies to grab a share of the 36-hole lead.
Jillian Hollis (69), was in third place, one stroke behind. Defending champion Nelly Korda (73) was six strokes behind. Five-time champion Karrie Webb, whose lead-up to the tournament was hampered by a virus, missed the cut after a second consecutive 74.
Because of the virus outbreak in China, the Women’s Australian Open will be the last LPGA tournament for a month after the cancellation of three scheduled events in Thailand, Singapore and China.
No ‘Plan B’ for Olympics; questions over Chinese presence
TOKYO (AP) – Tokyo Olympic organizers and the International Olympic Committee said Friday there is no “Plan B” for the 2020 Games, which open in just over five months and have been jolted by the outbreak of a virus in neighboring China.
The coronavirus has infected almost 64,000 people globally with almost 1,400 deaths in China, but only one in Japan, where fear is rising with so much attention focused on the outbreak.
John Coates, the head of an IOC inspection team, and Tokyo Olympic organizers took questions at a news conference on Friday to wrap up a two-day visit that was dominated by the virus issue.
Coates was asked by a reporter if he was 100% confident that the Tokyo Olympics would go on as scheduled and open on July 24. He replied, “Yes.”
COLLEGE FOOTBALL-GAME THREAT
Not guilty plea by suspect accused of making game threat
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – A California man pleaded not guilty on Friday to a charge of threatening a shooting at Ohio State University and vowing to hurt players on the football team.
An indictment unsealed late last year in federal court in Columbus accuses Daniel Rippy of making the “electronic communication” threat from California during the game between Ohio State and the University of Michigan in 2018. The game was played in Columbus that year, and Ohio State won 62-39.
According to the Sept. 26 indictment, Rippy threatened a shooting at the school and said: “I’m seriously going to hurt the students and all of the players from the football team.”
Rippy entered the not guilty plea before Judge Algenon Marbley, who ordered him to remain in detention ahead of his April 13 trial.
Records show Rippy was arrested Dec. 28 in Livermore, California, released on bond, but then failed to report to the court’s Pretrial Services division as required. He was re-arrested last month in California, and a magistrate judge ordered him handed over to U.S. marshals and sent to Ohio.