Update on the latest in sports:
Harper hopes to continue Derby success
WASHINGTON (AP) – National League fans will be hoping Bryce Harper’s bat has a couple more homers left in it for tonight’s All-Star Game, after last night’s Home Run Derby. Harper won that event in his home park in Washington, connecting on pitches from his father to beat Kyle Schwarber of the Chicago Cubs 19-18.
The All-Star Game isn’t usually a high-scoring affair. Not since 2007 have both teams scored more than three runs in the game. And that’s a trend across baseball these days. Going into the All-Star break, there have been more strikeouts than hits in the majors. The overall batting average is .247, and it could dip to the lowest figure in nearly a half-century.
American League manager A.J. Hinch of the Houston Astros is a big fan of the shift — so you can expect infielders like Jose Altuve and Manny Machado to be moving around when Paul Goldschmidt, Matt Kemp and the other National League stars come to bat. Tonight’s game comes amid a running debate about whether shifts are damaging the game, and whether baseball should adopt rule changes specifying where infielders must play.
Tiger Woods is back at British Open for the first time in three years
CARNOUSTIE, Scotland (AP) – Tiger Woods doesn’t feel as old at the oldest championship in golf.
Woods is back at the British Open for the first time in three years, and he believes his confidence and his chances of winning are getting better as the year goes on. He missed the last two Opens while recovering from multiple back surgeries.
The three-time champion has missed links golf.
Woods says the British Open offers him his best chance to win because it’s the next one on the calendar. Over time, he also believes it’s his best major because links golf requires as much thinking as raw power possessed by players nearly half his age.
He points to Tom Watson and Greg Norman playing in the final group while in their 50s.
OHIO STATE-TEAM DOCTOR
Wrestlers sue Ohio State over doctor’s sexual misconduct
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – A lawsuit by four former Ohio State University wrestlers alleges the school failed to stop “rampant sexual misconduct” by a now-dead team doctor despite being repeatedly informed about his behavior.
In the federal lawsuit filed Monday, four Ohio men listed as John Does say Richard Strauss sexually assaulted or harassed them in the late 1980s or 1990s. The wrestlers’ lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary damages.
The university didn’t immediately return messages seeking comment Tuesday.
An independent investigation about Strauss began after such allegations were raised earlier this year.
Ohio State says the allegations involve men from 14 sports
Strauss worked for the university for two decades, retiring in 1998. He killed himself in 2005.
His family has said they were “shocked and saddened” to learn of the allegations.