Update on the latest in sports:
Carmelo Anthony returns with Portland
NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Carmelo Anthony returns to the NBA court for the first time in more than a year, joining the Portland Trail Blazers tonight for their game in New Orleans against the Pelicans.
The 35-year-old has kept himself in shape by working out with NBA players, but going from pickup play to NBA action is a major step. Still, the Trail Blazers hope he can provide some needed punch after the team’s 5-and-9 start to the season.
Also on the NBA schedule:
– The Los Angeles Lakers carry an 11-and-2 record — and a four-game win streak — into tonight’s game at home against Oklahoma City.
– The Golden State Warriors try to snap a seven-game losing streak as they visit Memphis.
– The Sacramento Kings, who snapped Boston’s 10-game win streak on Sunday, host Phoenix.
Islanders at Pittsburgh
PITTSBURGH (AP) – The New York Islanders have gone 14 games without a loss in regulation heading into tonight’s matchup against the Penguins in Pittsburgh. The Islanders are on a 13-0-and-1 roll that’s vaulted them into second place in the Metropolitan Division behind Washington. It’s New York’s longest stretch without a regulation loss since a 15-game run in 1982.
Elsewhere in the NHL:
– The St. Louis Blues, coming off of their first regulation loss since October, are at home against Tampa Bay.
– The San Jose Sharks, winners of six in a row, host the Edmonton Oilers.
– The Dallas Stars, riding a three-game win streak, host Vancouver.
– Coming off of two straight overtime wins, the Carolina Hurricanes wrap up a three-game road trip in Chicago against the Blackhawks, winners of four straight.
– The Montreal Canadiens skate at Columbus, the Flyers are in Florida, Minnesota visits Buffalo, and the Bruins meet the Devils in New Jersey. In other action, it’s Ottawa against the Red Wings in Detroit, Winnipeg is at Nashville, the Calgary Flames host Colorado, and the Maple Leafs are in Las Vegas.
Fourth-ranked Kansas in action
UNDATED (AP) – Fourth-ranked Kansas is the highest-ranked college basketball team in action tonight, taking on East Tennessee State.
In other action involving top-ten teams, number-six Maryland plays Fairfield, seventh-ranked Virginia takes on Vermont, and it’s number-eight Gonzaga against U-T Arlington.
Argentina beats Chile
MADRID (AP) – Argentina comfortably defeated Chile 2-0 to open its campaign in the Davis Cup Finals on Tuesday.
Guido Pella beat Nicolas Jarry 6-4, 6-3 and Diego Schwartzman defeated Cristian Garin 6-2, 6-2, to give the 2016 champions the opening win in Group C.
The teams are playing only two singles and a doubles in each tie, with the group winners advancing to the knockout stage.