Update on the latest in sports:
Mets host Indians
UNDATED – Pete Alonso and the resurgent Mets face Cleveland in the opener of a pivotal nine-game homestand against a trio of playoff contenders: the Indians, Braves and Cubs. All-Star Game MVP Shane Bieber starts for Cleveland against Steven Matz.
Also on the big-league schedule:
– One night after nearly getting no-hit, the Brewers face another tall order in Cardinals right-hander Michael Wacha. He is one of three pitchers to have a perfect career winning percentage against Milwaukee with 10 or more starts. Wacha is 6-0 and has held the Brewers to two or fewer runs in each of his last four starts against them. Left-hander Gio Gonzalez goes for Milwaukee in a matchup of NL Central contenders.
– The Boston Red Sox have won five in a row heading into tonight’s interleague matchup with the Philadelphia Phillies. The Phillies are two games out of the second wild card spot in the National League, while Boston sits six games behind the second wild card team in the A-L.
– Oakland is expected to call up top pitching prospect A.J. Puk before its series opener against the New York Yankees, a potential postseason preview. The 6-foot-7 Puk is a hard-throwing lefty who was drafted sixth overall in 2016 out of the University of Florida. He could provide a new weapon out of the bullpen for the A’s, in a tight race with Cleveland and Tampa Bay for the two AL wild cards.
– Lefty Cole Hamels starts for the Cubs against the Giants at Wrigley, after allowing a season-high eight runs last week at Philadelphia. The Giants send Tyler Beede to the mound.
– Clayton Kershaw makes just his second career start against Toronto as the Dodgers host the opener of the three-game interleague series.
– Two hot pitchers face off in Cincinnati, where Cal Quantrill is on the mound for the Padres against Sonny Gray of the Reds. Quantrill is 4-and-1 with a 1.31 ERA since the All-Star break. Gray is 5-and-1 with a 1.59 ERA in his last nine starts.
In other action, the Angeles are at Texas for a day-night doubleheader, the Baltimore Orioles host Kansas City, Seattle is at Tampa Bay, the Braves host the Marlins, the Washington Nationals play another at Pittsburgh, the Twins host the White Sox, the Tigers are at Houston and the Diamondbacks host the Rockies.