Update on the latest in sports:
Indians host Red Sox
UNDATED (AP) – The Indians will open a home series against Boston a day after moving into a tie with Minnesota atop the AL Central.
Cleveland took three of four from the Twins over the weekend, continuing a 42-17 surge since June 4 that erased Minnesota’s big lead. Rookie right-hander Zach Plesac will open the three-game series for Cleveland against Red Sox left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez. The defending World Series champions blew their 22nd save chance Sunday – tied for most in the majors – in a 5-4, 10-inning loss to the Angels.
Elsewhere in the majors:
– Zack Greinke is set to make his second start with Houston, and the Astros will try to start another winning streak as they open a series in Chicago against the White Sox. Houston ended an eight-game winning streak in stunning fashion Sunday when Baltimore’s Rio Ruiz hit a walk-off homer in the ninth inning. Greinke beat Colorado in his Astros debut but wasn’t especially sharp, allowing five runs in six innings.
– The Tampa Bay Rays are set to open a series in San Diego. Reigning AL Cy Young Award winner Blake Snell of the Rays is expected to play catch as he tries to work back from left elbow surgery in late July. Tampa Bay’s ace had an arthroscopic procedure, and while he’s hopeful of returning to the rotation before the end of the season, manager Kevin Cash said Sunday it’s still too early to project the left-hander’s return.
– The Washington Nationals hope to know more about Juan Soto’s ankle injury before starting a three-game home series against the Cincinnati Reds. The 20-year-old turned his ankle Sunday after getting a sudden stop sign from third base coach Bob Henley. X-rays were negative and the team said he’s day to day
– The New York Yankees return home for a day-night doubleheader against the Baltimore Orioles, as the teams make up for a May rainout. The last-place Orioles are 37 and a-half games behind the division-leading Yankees.
– In other action, the Pittsburgh Pirates are in Anaheim for an interleague matchup against the Angels. The Texas Rangers open a series in Toronto against the Blue Jays. And the Arizona Diamondbacks visit the Colorado Rockies.