Update on the latest in sports:
Cashner makes Boston debut
BOSTON (AP) – Andrew Cashner makes his Boston Red Sox debut at Fenway Park against Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and the Toronto Blue Jays.
Cashner was acquired Saturday from Baltimore for two 17-year-old prospects. The 32-year-old righty went 9-3 with a 3.83 ERA in 17 starts for the team with the worst record in the majors.
Also on the major-league schedule:
– Cody Bellinger, now with the most home runs in the majors, tries to add to his total as the Dodgers look for another big outburst in Philadelphia. Bellinger saw a sea of blue behind him in right field and heard “M-V-P” chants throughout the night Monday in Philly as Los Angeles cruised to a 16-2 rout. Bellinger hit his 32nd and 33rd homers to pass reigning NL MVP Christian Yelich for the major league lead.
– Mike Trout hopes to return to the lineup when the Angels host AL West-leading Houston in the second game of their series. Trout left Sunday’s win over Seattle early and sat out Monday night against the Astros with a strained right calf. An MRI revealed a small strain, according to the team.
– The surprising big league leader in wins is Texas right-hander Lance Lynn, who goes for No. 13 when the Rangers host the Arizona Diamondbacks. Lynn is 8-0 at home after signing a $30 million, three-year contract with Texas as a free agent in December.
– The Chicago Cubs are hoping Martin Maldonado will be able to join the team in time for tonight’s game at Wrigley Field against the Cincinnati Reds. The NL Central leaders acquired the catcher in a trade with Kansas City that sent left-hander Mike Montgomery to the Royals. The Cubs’ top catcher, Willson Contreras, is on the 10-day injured list.
– CC Sabathia is on the mound for the New York Yankees as they try to rebound from a 5-4 loss Monday to the Tampa Bay Rays.
– The Atlanta Braves, now 21 games over .500 for the first time this year, look for their sixth win in a row when they take on the Brewers in Milwaukee.
– Dario Agrazal, who is 2-and-0, makes his third big-league start for the Pirates as they continue their series in St. Louis against the Cardinals, who are starting righthander Jack Flaherty.
– With Zack Wheeler of the Mets now on the 10-day injured list because of shoulder fatigue, Steven Matz will start in his place tonight in Minnesota.
– The Indians, who’ve won nine of 10 this year against Detroit, look to continue their success against the Tigers in Cleveland.
– Marco Gonzales will go after his sixth win in seven impressive starts since June 7 when Seattle opens a road series against Oakland.
– The Washington Nationals face the Orioles in nearby Baltimore in an interleague matchup.
– After sweeping a day-night doubleheader Monday, the San Francisco Giants again take on the Rockies in Denver.
– Winners of three of four since the All-Star break, the Kansas City Royals again host the Chicago White Sox.
– The San Diego Padres and the Marlins open a series in Miami.