Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 6:20 a.m. EST
N Carolina reviews policy for inmates who give birth
(Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.com)
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina prison officials say they’ll institute a new policy for pregnant inmates after receiving complaints that two women were restrained during delivery.
The News & Observer of Raleigh reports that the policy now allows a prisoner to be restrained while in childbirth but not in delivery.
A new policy that will go into effect soon will spell out when restraints should be removed, said Pamela Walker, spokeswoman for the state Department of Public Safety.
The review comes after an Atlanta-based organization that promotes reproductive rights for women of color and groups from North Carolina sent a letter to DPS questioning the treatment of the two unnamed inmates.
SisterSong and the others in the coalition praised state prison officials for the review.
Last year, 81 inmates delivered babies while incarcerated.
Plans in works for African-American heritage center in NC
(Information from: The Daily Advance, http://www.dailyadvance.com/)
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (AP) – A school where African-American college learned to be teachers could become a heritage center if organizers in northeastern North Carolina are successful.
The Daily Advance of Elizabeth City reports the “practice school” was built in 1921 on what was then the campus of Elizabeth City Normal School.
Now partners that include Elizabeth City State hope to turn the building into an African-American Heritage center for the region. Organizers say it would be a resource center for researchers of African-American history as well as an interpretive site for the public.
The school was built with money from Julius Rosenwald, who was the president of Sears Roebuck. He and Booker T. Washington of the Tuskegee Institute, built more than 5,000 schools for African-American children across the South. .
Filing shows NC battery maker unlikely to resume production
(Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com)
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) – A bankruptcy court filing that shows a high-tech battery maker has found a buyer for most of its assets also indicates that it’s unlikely the boxcar-sized batteries will be manufactured again at the North Carolina plant.
The Charlotte Observer reports the filing for Alevo Manufacturing Inc. says an unspecified bidder has contracted to buy the assets of the Concord unit for $5 million. The sale is expected to close Tuesday.
The U.S. operations of the Swiss-based company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in August, laying off 290 workers. The company’s batteries were supposed to help power companies save energy or shift to wind and solar power.
The filing adds that financial problems at the company’s Swiss parent made it difficult to sell intellectual property and possibly continue production in Concord.
Beach renourishment project continues on Wrightsville Beach
(Information from: The StarNews, http://starnewsonline.com)
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) – Sand is being pumped again on a North Carolina beach, the eighth such project in 12 years in the same area.
The StarNews of Wilmington reports the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began beach nourishment project began earlier this month along Wrightsville Beach. Crews will soon begin pumping sand on Ocean Isle Beach.
Wrightsville will get an estimated 700,000 cubic yards of sand dredged from the ocean floor, and Ocean Isle will get 250,000 cubic yards.
Army Corps officials estimate the Wrightsville Beach project will end in late March or early April, with the Ocean Isle Beach piece completed before May. They say the work must be finished by the end of April because the turtle nesting season begins in early May.
AP EXPLAINS-ELECTIONS BOARD
AP Explains: Why is election board fight still unsettled?
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A legal fight between North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper and Republican lawmakers over a combined elections and ethics board remains unsettled, despite a state Supreme Court ruling last month favoring Cooper.
That’s because a lower court still must decide what the majority opinion means for the law approved last spring by the GOP-controlled General Assembly.
Complicating the matter is a bill the legislature approved last week adjusting the board again. Cooper opposed that change too, but will let it become law without his signature because it contains education items he wanted. However, that means the law won’t take effect until mid-March – possibly giving Cooper more time to seek a court victory.
This conflict is just one of many in a power struggle between Republicans and Cooper.
SECURITY GUARD BEATEN
Private officer beaten unconscious at transportation center
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Authorities say a private security guard patrolling a public transportation hub was beaten unconscious by a man he had ordered to leave the property.
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police said 50-year-old G4S Company employee Jeffery Outen suffered a broken nose, head injuries and needed stitches in the 6 p.m. Friday attack, but is expected to recover.
Police say 49-year-old Reginald Alexander let the Charlotte Transportation Center once when asked by Outen, but then returned and refused to leave.
Police said in a statement that Alexander punched Outen in the head several times and the officer was knocked out when he hit his head on the sidewalk.
Alexander is charged with assaulting inflicting serious injury on a law enforcement officer. Jail records did not indicate if he had an attorney.
Police: Man firing shots to scare wife causes panic at plant
CLAREMONT, N.C. (AP) – Authorities say a husband firing a shot to scare his wife in the break room of a North Carolina food processing plant caused a panic.
Catawba County deputies said 25-year-old Cheng Lee is charged with felony discharge of a firearm after the shooting Friday night at the AdvancePierre Foods plant in Claremont.
Authorities say two people suffered minor injuries in the chaos after Lee fired, but no one was seriously hurt.
Deputies told media outlets that Lee was a former worker at the plant and fired shots to scare his wife, who still works there.
It wasn’t known if Lee had a lawyer.
SUICIDE BY COP STOPPED
Quick Facebook post report gets teen mental help, not arrest
(Information from: Rocky Mount Telegram, http://www.rockymounttelegram.com)
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) – Police in North Carolina say they were able to get mental help for a student who threatened to bring a BB gun to a high school so a police officer would kill him.
Edgecombe County Sheriff’s Detective E. W. Muse Jr. says the teen posted on Facebook earlier this month he wanted the officer at SouthWest Edgecombe High School to kill him.
Muse says the teen said he didn’t want to hurt students or teachers, so he was ordered to a hospital to get mental treatment and suspended from school for the rest of the year.
Muse told the Rocky Mount Telegram that the incident shows why it is so important for students and others to report any threats or strange behavior.