Latest North Carolina News:
New NC districts backed by judges; candidate filing resuming
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Candidate filing in North Carolina will resume Thursday as scheduled now that the state Supreme Court has refused to delay the use of redistricting maps that were endorsed by trial judges. The justices declined any delay Wednesday night despite a flurry of appeals from Republican lawmakers and from voters and advocacy groups. The Supreme Court’s decision means the primary is still on for May 17. áThe elections will use state House and Senate maps that the legislature approved last week and a congressional plan that was redrawn and adopted by a panel of trial judges earlier Wednesday.
CONDOMINIUM FIRE-TWO KILLED
Woman, granddaughter killed in North Carolina condo fire
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Officials say a woman and her granddaughter were killed in a fire at a North Carolina condominium. The Raleigh Fire Department said in an incident report that the fire erupted early Wednesday morning in a unit at a condo complex on the northeast side of Raleigh. The report said heavy fire was seen coming from the condo’s front windows. The department said there were five people in the condominium, two adults and three children. Two other children and their mother were able to get out and were taken to a local hospital for treatment.
NC’s 2 largest school systems adopt mask-optional policies
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina’s two largest school districts have agreed to make masks optional for students and staff indoors starting early next month. The Wake County and Charlotte-Mecklenburg school boards voted separately on Tuesday to remove their broad COVID-19 mask requirements as of March 7. A large majority of school districts have now voted for mask-optional policies as COVID-19 transmission rates have fallen. Gov. Roy Cooper last week also encouraged the end of school mask mandates. A bill approved by the General Assembly and on Cooper’s desk would let parents allow their students to opt out of mask mandates that local education boards still have in place.
MULTIPLE BANK ROBBERIES
Suspects sought in 4 bank robberies in North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Police in North Carolina’s capital are looking for two people who are believed to have committed four bank robberies within two hours. News outlets report N.C. State University and the Raleigh Police Department have connected a car fire near the school’s Centennial Campus on Tuesday to bank robberies in Cary and Morrisville as well as in Raleigh. An alert was issued for N.C. State students for two men wanted for bank robbery were on the run after their car crashed into an apartment building. Police said no injuries were reported in any of the robberies.
LIZARD LICK TOWING-SON KILLED
2 teenagers arrested in death of son of reality TV star
SMITHFIELD, N.C. (AP) – Two North Carolina teenagers have been charged in connection with the shooting death of a man whose father was featured in a reality television show about his towing and repossession business. News outlets report the Johnston County Sheriff’s Office said shots were fired during a memorial service for a relative killed in a traffic accident earlier this month. In a post on Facebook, Ronnie Shirley confirmed that 21-year-old Harley Alexander Shirley was fatally shot in Garner late Thursday. Shirley and his wife, Amy, own Lizard Lick Towing and starred in a truTV reality show based on their family business from 2011 to 2014. The teens, ages 16 and 17, are charged with murder and attempted murder.
FRAUD REPORTS-NORTH CAROLINA
FTC: North Carolina consumers lost $93M from scams in ’21
WASHINGTON (AP) – A report from the Federal Trade Commission says consumers in North Carolina made more than 64,000 fraud reports that totaled slightly more than $93 million in losses in 2021. The FTC says the top category of reports received from consumers in North Carolina was identity theft, followed by imposter scams and credit bureaus. Other reports involved online shopping, and banks and lenders, The median loss was $446. Nationally, consumers reported losing more than $5.8 billion to fraud in 2021, up from $3.4 billion in 2020.
DEPUTY SHOT-NORTH CAROLINA
North Carolina sheriff’s deputy shot 5 times at traffic stop
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina sheriff’s deputy was shot five times during a traffic stop last weekend, but officials say he has been released from the hospital. The suspect who shot him is also hospitalized and warrants have been issued. The Charlotte Observer reported that a news release says Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Deputy Dijon Whyms was shot twice in the lower body and three times in the upper body during a traffic stop in the northern portion of the county just outside of Charlotte on Saturday. Whyms fired back and wounded the suspect, 23-year-old Aidan Bryant. The sheriff’s office says warrants show multiple charges against Bryant, including attempted first-degree murder.
North Carolina police make arrests in 2 cold cases
KINSTON, N.C. (AP) – Police in a North Carolina city said Tuesday they have arrested two men in separate cold cases from the previous decade. News outlets report Kinston police arrested a suspect in a 2013 murder case. A murder warrant was obtained in January for 32-year-old Carlos Fields for his role in the murder of James Franklin. Police said Franklin was in a parked car with two others on Nov. 5, 2013. Kinston police also announced that a second suspect has been arrested in a 2015 shooting death. Michael Fisher was arrested by police on Tuesday in Kinston and jailed without bond in the shooting death of Timothy Nobles on May 31, 2015.