Latest North Carolina News:
NC road-building costs could scale back long-term projects
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina government would need billions of dollars in additional road-building funds if it wants to carry out currently planned projects for the next decade. A Department of Transportation report says the gap between the costs for committed DOT projects and available funding from 2024 to 2033 is at least $7 billion. WRAL-TV reports projects could get dropped from the state’s transportation building roadmap or others don’t get added. The higher cost projections can be contributed to rising material costs and uncertain job markets due to the COVID-10 pandemic, as well as increasing real estate prices.
HOME INVASION-FATAL SHOOTING
Sheriff: 2 killed in North Carolina home invasion
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina sheriff’s office says two people were fatally shot during a home invasion. News outlets report that the Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office said deputies responding to a report of a home invasion and shooting at a Fayetteville home around 5 a.m. Wednesday found two people who had been shot to death. Sheriff Ennis Wright tweeted that two people were pronounced dead on the scene and the department’s homicide unit is investigating. Authorities didn’t say whether anyone else was injured.
Feds: 3 charged in Mexican migrant worker conspiracy
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Three people have been indicted in a multi-state conspiracy involving the forced labor of Mexican agricultural immigrants. A federal grand jury in Tampa formally charged Bladimir Moreno, Christina Gamez and Guadalupe Mendes Mendoza under a six-count indictment last week. According to the indictment, Moreno, Gamez and Mendes Mendoza ran a labor contracting company for migrant workers with temporary agricultural visas from 2015 through 2017. Investigators say Los Villatoros Harvesting subjected to forced labor multiple Mexican agricultural workers employed in Florida, Kentucky, Indiana, Georgia and North Carolina. Officials say the company also harbored migrant workers in the U.S. after their H-2A visas had expired.
CHILD ABUSE-MAN CHARGED
North Carolina man accused of assault of 4-year-old
BEAUFORT, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina sheriff’s office has filed charges against a man after health care workers reported a 4-year-old child was brought to a hospital with a severe head injury. The Carteret County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that 31-year-old Matthew David Langley of Newport is charged with felony child abuse inflicting serious injury. The news release says detectives responded to a hospital in Morehead City on Sunday after the child was taken there by emergency workers. Detectives learned the child is the daughter of Langley’s girlfriend and determined the child’s injuries didn’t match the story provided to investigators.
Vaccinations encouraged, not required at NC State Fair
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – People attending the 2021 N.C. State Fair won’t be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, but officials say it’s strongly encouraged. A statement from fair officials also says any size or type of clear bag is acceptable. Wristlets, diaper bags and medical equipment bags will be accepted at the fair even if they are not clear, but they will require additional inspection. In addition, officials say there will be no concerts inside Dorton Arena when the fair opens next month. The space will be used for vendors to provide a larger venue for farmers and producers.
NC Senate maneuvers again to keep public records bill alive
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina Senate Republicans have used another parliamentary maneuver to try to advance legislation that would increase public access to the personnel history of government employees. The Senate voted Wednesday for a House notary measure with an amendment that inserts the personnel record language from another bill that cleared the Senate in June. That language would make public short explanations of why an employee was transferred, demoted or suspended. The measure approved in June – after a key bill deadline – has been idling. The North Carolina Press Association backs the personnel proposal. The State Employees Association of North Carolina opposes it.
SUSPICIOUS TRUCK-COURT APPEARANCE
Man who claimed to have bomb at Capitol competent for trial
WASHINGTON (AP) – A federal judge has ruled the man who claimed he had a bomb in a pickup truck near the U.S. Capitol last month is competent to stand trial. Floyd Ray Roseberry pleaded not guilty in federal court Wednesday to charges that include threatening to use a weapon of mass destruction. The 49-year-old from Grover, North Carolina, drove a truck onto the sidewalk outside the Library of Congress on Sept. 19 and began shouting that he had a bomb. He surrendered about five hours later. Police said they did not find a bomb but had collected possible bomb-making materials.
FATAL SHOOTING-LYING IN STREET
North Carolina man found lying in street dies after shooting
MOUNT AIRY, N.C. (AP) – Police in a North Carolina town say an 18-year-old man has died after he was found lying in a street suffering from gunshot wounds. News outlets report Mount Airy police officers were doing a security check at a location shortly after midnight Wednesday when they found John Flores Martinez lying in an intersection with multiple gunshot wounds. Police say Martinez was taken by emergency personnel to a Winston-Salem hospital, where he died. Police have not identified any suspects in the shooting and say the investigation into the incident is continuing