Latest North Carolina News:
Angry over 2020 ballot deal, NC Republicans vote to limit AG
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A flap over North Carolina absentee ballots in the 2020 election has resurfaced at the General Assembly as Republicans gave final approval to legislation limiting Democratic Attorney General Josh Stein’s ability to enter legal settlements. The bill is now heading to Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s desk following a party-line House vote on Wednesday. It says legal settlements must be backed by the Senate leader and House speaker when they are named parties in litigation. The bill was introduced by GOP lawmakers angry about being left out of negotiations last year between Stein’s office and a labor-affiliated group that sued state election officials.
FBI campaign to raise hate crime awareness in North Carolina
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – The Charlotte division of the FBI says it is launching a campaign across North Carolina to raise awareness about federal hate crimes and to encourage people to report them. A news release from the agency says its campaign is part of a nationwide effort coordinated through FBI headquarters in Washington, D.C. The national campaign includes billboards, social media, gas station pump ads, and radio, television, and bus advertisements. Robert Wells, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Charlotte Division, says no one should fear being targeted for violence because of their look, where they are from or any portion of their identity.
CHILD DEATH-HOT CAR
N. Carolina man charged after 17-month-old left in hot car
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Police in a North Carolina city have filed charges against a man after his 17-month-old child was left inside a car outside his home. The Fayetteville Police Department says officers were dispatched to a home on Sept, 5 in response to a report of an unresponsive child. Emergency workers responding to the scene performed life-saving procedures, but the child was pronounced dead at the home. Police charged 36-year-old Wayne Nesbitt on Tuesday with involuntary manslaughter. He is being held in the Cumberland County jail under a $100,000 unsecured bond.
Veteran Democratic state lawmaker Insko won’t run again
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina Rep. Verla Insko says she won’t seek reelection next year. The 13-term Orange County Democrat made the announcement on Wednesday. She is the longest-serving House Democrat currently in the chamber. The 85-year-old Insko joined the state House in 1997 and became a consistent, liberal voice on expanding health care access and mental health service reforms. She also was a top budget-writer on health issues when Democrats controlled the House in the 2000s. She’ll serve out the remainder of her term through the end of 2022. Her announcement comes weeks before the GOP-controlled legislature draws General Assembly districts for the next decade.
SEX OFFENSES-MAN ARRESTED
North Carolina man accused of sex offenses against teenager
BEAUFORT, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina sheriff’s office says a man has been arrested for sex offenses involving a teenager. The Carteret County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that 26-year-old Andrew Tyler Lewis of New Bern was arrested on Tuesday after an investigation just outside of Morehead City. According to the sheriff’s office, investigators with a task force received a tip about sex offenses involving a 13-year-old girl and began an investigation which lasted for a month. Lewis is charged with statutory sex offense with a child and is jailed on a $300,000 bond. It’s not known if he has an attorney.
Audit: NC DOT spent less than planned, but risks remain
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A state performance audit says North Carolina’s Department of Transportation spents less than anticipated during the second half of 2020. But State Auditor Beth Wood’s office says DOT hadn’t carried out key recommendations from last year’s audit, which found several hundred million dollars in overspending. So in their latest review, the auditors say it “was largely due to chance” that DOT didn’t overspend last year, and that as a result, it remains at risk for future overages. DOT Secretary Eric Boyette agreed with this week’s audit findings, and says his department is now applying the previous recommendations.
PLANT EMPLOYEES DEAD
Company probes whether procedures were followed after deaths
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – An eastern North Carolina industrial operation says it’s investigating whether safety procedures were followed after an accident that killed two workers over the weekend. The Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office said two Valley Proteins workers were found unresponsive Sunday at the Fayetteville plant and the building was evacuated. According to its website, Valley Proteins collects, renders and recycles fat and bone trimmings, meat waste and used cooking oil. WTVD-TV reports that the company said Monday that one maintenance worker had worked there for 13 years and the other had been employed for less than one month. The company says the “accident may have occurred by lack of following company safety procedures which both employees have been trained in.”
MURDER TRIAL-PLEA DEAL
North Carolina man pleads guilty in 2018 shooting death
WINSTON -SALEM, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina man has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in a fatal shooting in 2018 that authorities say resulted from an argument over a drug deal. The Winston-Salem Journal reports 23-year-old Charlie Andrew Goldsmith pleaded guilty on Monday to second-degree murder in the 2018 death of 21-year-old Jordan Anthony Gabriel. Goldsmith had been facing a first-degree murder charge, but as part of a plea arrangement, he was allowed to enter a guilty plea to second-degree murder. A judge sentenced Goldsmith to between 18 years and 22 years in prison.