Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EDT
Bill earmarks $300M more COVID-19 funds for N.C. government
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina legislators want to make available another $300 million in federal COVID-19 relief funds to Gov. Roy Cooper’s administration to cover additional government expenses incurred due to the virus. The Senate voted unanimously on Tuesday for the measure, which would raise the amount distributed from North Carolina’s share of federal funds to Cooper’s state budget office to $370 million. The measure now moves to the House. Last month, the legislature approved distributing close to half of the state’s $3.5 billion allocation from Congress. House and Senate budget-writers also are now advancing several spending bills using state funds for the next fiscal year.
VIRUS OUTBREAK-REPUBLICAN CONVENTION
Trump looks elsewhere after GOP convention spat with NC gov
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – President Donald Trump says he’s seeking a new state to host the Republican National Convention this summer. That’s what he’s saying on Twitter after North Carolina refused to guarantee that the August convention could be held in Charlotte without public health restrictions to contain the coronavirus pandemic. Trump complains that Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper and other officials aren’t “allowing us to occupy the arena as originally anticipated and promised.” Trump and the Republican National Committee had been demanding that the convention be allowed to move forward with a full crowd and without participants having to wear face coverings.
CONFEDERATE MONUMENT REMOVAL
City in North Carolina votes to remove Confederate monument
ROCKY MOUNT, N.C. (AP) – The Rocky Mount City Council in North Carolina has voted to remove a Confederate monument from a city park. News outlets report that the 6-1 vote during Tuesday night’s budget meeting was prompted by Councilman Andre Knight, who said during a budget meeting that he feels no money should be spent on renovations at Battle Park until the monument is removed, “given what has happened all across the country.” Mayor Sandy Roberson says the monument will be removed from the park and stored elsewhere once a second vote finalizes the decision.
AMERICA PROTESTS-NORTH CAROLINA
North Carolina cities impose curfews in protests’ aftermath
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina’s capital city is enacting an 8 p.m. curfew starting Monday night. The move comes after two nights of protests over the death of George Floyd that led to street fires, store break-ins, and fireworks being thrown at police officers. Raleigh Mayor Mary-Ann Baldwin said in a news release Monday that she hopes the curfew will allow the city to recover. The curfew will last each day until 5 a.m. and will remain in place until Baldwin declares it’s over. Baldwin said those caught violating the curfew will face a misdemeanor charge and fine. Certain key professions are exempt.
AMERICA PROTESTS-FIRE CHIEF RESIGNS
North Carolina fire chief resigns after Facebook post
BAYBORO, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina fire chef has resigned after a comment he made on a Facebook post referring to people protesting the death of George Floyd at a local city hall. The Sun Journal of New Bern reports Chief Steven Jennings of the Triangle Fire Department turned in his resignation in a letter on Monday. On an unidentified post showing a photograph of protesters lying on the ground around City Hall in New Bern, Jennings commented, “Oh please come lay on the road in front of my driveway. You will quickly become a greasy spot in the highway.”
N.C. ballot access bill clears Senate panel with changes
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Consensus legislation designed to help North Carolina voters worried about COVID-19 gain access to absentee ballots received some changes before clearing a state Senate panel. The Senate elections committee on Tuesday approved the measure that retained all of the provisions included in the legislation when the House voted for it overwhelmingly last week. The bill in part expands options for registered voters to receive absentee ballot request forms, including the creation of an online portal for submissions. The committee also approved an amendment that its sponsor says will help investigate attempts at potential ballot fraud and harvesting using the portal.
Man gets 10-month sentence for threatening Muslim politician
Prosecutors say a North Carolina man has been sentenced to 10 months in prison for anonymously threatening on social media to lynch a Muslim-American man who ran for a state Senate seat in Virginia. A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney’s office for the Western District of North Carolina says U.S. District Judge Max Cogburn Jr. also sentenced Joseph Cecil Vandevere on Tuesday to áyear of supervised release. A jury convicted the 53-year-old man of posting a threatening tweet directed at Virginia politician Qasim Rashid. The March 2018 tweet included a picture of a lynching and read, “VIEW YOUR DESTINY.”
North Carolina man killed when moped struck by SUV
WASHINGTON, N.C. (AP) – The North Carolina State Highway Patrol says a man was killed when he drove his moped into the path of an oncoming SUV. WITN reports the patrol said 24-year-old Zachary Blake of Washington was headed west on U.S. Highway 264 in Beaufort County around 7 a.m. on Tuesday. Trooper C.J. Clark says Blake was making a left turn to cross the median, and as he crossed the eastbound lane, he was hit by the SUV. Clark said no charges have been filed in connection with the accident so far.