Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper says all restaurants and bars must be closed to dine-in patrons in another effort to dampen the spread of the new coronavirus. Take-out and delivery can continue under an executive order that took effect Tuesday. Bars and restaurants had been exempted from Cooper’s prohibition of assemblies of more than 100 people. Cooper’s order also highlights ways to make it easier to help employees harmed financially by broad closings in the state to obtain unemployment benefits. Separately, dozens of driver’s license offices are being closed temporarily, and Dare County on the Outer Banks is restricting visitor access.
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper’s power to demand a dine-in prohibition at North Carolina’s restaurants and bars is being challenged by Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Forest. Forest says the governor didn’t get the consent of a majority of the Council of State needed to issue the new customer restrictions on Tuesday. But Cooper’s office says he didn’t need that backing and cite several other laws to back his decision. Forest is running against Cooper in November. Forest says the mandate will “devastate our economy.” Cooper says the restriction is a painful but necessary action to blunt the intensity of the new coronavirus.
BOLTON, N.C. (AP) – Deputies in North Carolina say a large amount of blood was found in the backyard of a man who was later found dead in the woods. A news release from the Columbus County Sheriff’s Office says 82-year-old Edward Davis was reported missing from his home in Bolton on Monday. Investigators say 23-year-old Tucker Rector was determined to be a person of interest and interviewed. Authorities say a search of Rector’s home turned up vital pieces of evidence in the case. Davis’ body was then found in the woods. Rector is charged with murder. It’s unclear whether he had an attorney who could speak for him.
WALKERTOWN, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina authorities confirm a former middle school teacher charged with sexually abusing a male student now faces additional sex crime counts involving other male students. Documents obtained by the Winston-Salem Journal show 32-year-old Carly Erin Kaczmarek was charged Monday with statutory rape, two counts of sexual activity with a student and two counts of taking indecent liberties with a student. The Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office says the charges stem from an off-campus encounter in November 2019. The Walkertown Middle School teacher was charged March 6 with similar felony sex crimes and has since been fired. It’s unclear whether she has an attorney who can comment.