AP-NC Newswatch

Financial News
August 3, 2018
AP Scorecard
August 3, 2018
AP-NC Newswatch

 

 

 

Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 6:20 a.m. EDT

 

STATE EDUCATION CHAIR RESIGNS
N Carolina Board of Education chair announces resignation
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – The North Carolina Board of Education chair has announced he’s resigning early, citing issues with other members having to serve past their terms.
News outlets report 79-year-old Bill Cobey submitted his resignation Thursday. Cobey’s term on the board would have ended in March. His resignation goes into effect after a Sept. 6 board meeting where a new chairperson will be elected. The resignation means Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper will be able to appoint a successor to complete the term.
Cobey has served as the chair for more than five years and says he wants to “move on so that others can lead.” He also says he wants to avoid serving past his term’s expiration, which board members Wayne McDevitt and Tricia Willoughby are doing despite their terms ending last year.

 

This story has been corrected to show that North Carolina’s governor is Roy Cooper.

 

 

OFFICERS CHARGED-NORTH CAROLINA
Video shows white trooper yanking black driver to ground
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – New video of a white North Carolina state trooper yanking a black driver to the ground is being reviewed to determine whether criminal charges are warranted.
A judge ordered the release Thursday of dashboard video showing Trooper Michael G. Blake arresting Kimberly Ingram in March.
The video shows Blake dragging Ingram out of her car and appearing to knee her in the back while handcuffing her.
Ingram filed a civil suit against the Highway Patrol. Wake County District Attorney Lorrin Freeman said Thursday she is reviewing the case to determine if charges are warranted against Blake.
Separately, Blake already faces criminal charges in the beating of a Raleigh pedestrian in April.
Defense attorney Joe Cheshire said Blake has served the state honorably and videos shouldn’t be taken out of context.

 

 

BUSINESS I-40 CLOSURE
Business I-40 to close in Winston-Salem for bridge removal
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – The next shutdown of Business Interstate 40 through a North Carolina city involves taking down a bridge.
The N.C. Department of Transportation says in a news release that contractors will close the highway in both directions Friday between Cloverdale Avenue and Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem for the bridge demolition.
Closures will take place from 10 p.m. Friday until 4 p.m. Sunday.
The latest shutdown is in advance of the two-year closure for the improvement project.
Traffic will be detoured in opposite directions using Cloverdale Avenue, West First Street and Peters Creek Parkway.

 

 

RAINFALL RECORDS-NORTH CAROLINA
Rainfall records set across North Carolina during soggy July
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Rainfall records were set across North Carolina during July, and the National Weather Service suggests August will bring more wet weather.
The weather service reported Cape Hatteras got 20.31 inches (50 centimeters) of rain last month, well above the normal of 4.99 inches (12.66 centimeters), based on a 30-year average. It’s the wettest July on record and the second wettest month ever, trailing only the 21.40 inches (54 centimeters) that fell on Cape Hatteras in September 1999 due to Hurricane Floyd.
Wilmington, with 17.10 inches (43 centimeters), and Asheville, with 6.58 inches (16 centimeters), also set records for the month.
National Weather Service meteorologist Phil Badgett said while the specific weather pattern has yet to be determined, the run of wet weather is expected to continue in August.

 

 

911 OUTAGE-MINNESOTA-THE LATEST
The Latest: Vendor blamed for 911 outage in 3 states
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) – Officials in Minnesota say a third-party vendor performing work on a 911 system caused a widespread service failure in Minnesota, and that the outage affected North Dakota and North Carolina too.
Several cities and counties scrambled to broadcast backup emergency phone numbers during the hour-long outage Wednesday afternoon. Telecommunications company CenturyLink, which operates 911 networks in the three states, said Thursday it’s investigating the causes.
Dana Wahlberg, director of Minnesota’s Emergency Communications Networks, says some callers were still able to reach emergency services during the interruption. The department is reviewing how many emergency centers were affected.
CenturyLink Spokesman Frank Tutalo says a third-party vendor’s work affected service. He did not immediately return messages seeking comment on the vendor and the scope of the outage.

 

 

WRIGHT BROTHERS VISITOR CENTER
New exhibits part of updated Wright brothers visitor center
KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (AP) – When the visitor center at the Wright Brothers National Memorial in North Carolina reopens next month, changes will include new interactive exhibits that highlight life along the Outer Banks in the early 1900s.
The National Park Service says in a news release Wednesday that the visitor center in Kill Devil Hills will reopen Sept. 29 after being closed for almost two years. The building and exhibit updates cost a total of almost $7.5 million.
The Park Service says the new exhibits highlight why Orville and Wilbur Wright chose Kitty Hawk for their flight experiments from 1900 to 1903 and what their lives were like on the Outer Banks.
The center closed for a project to preserve and restore its significant architectural features and to update its mechanical and electrical systems.

 

 

PARADE-HATE MAIL
N Carolina parade nixed gay rights float, ends over threats
(Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com)
SALISBURY, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina parade refused to let gay rights supporters ride along last year has ended, citing hate mail and threats.
The Charlotte Observer cites a Holiday Caravan Parade statement blaming “hate mail, emails and threats to protest the 2018 parade” for ending the 58-year tradition.
Last November, the area’s Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays chapter accused parade organizers of discrimination. They called police to keep the parents and children on a float sponsored by Avita Pharmacy from participating. The local pharmacy had invited PFLAG members to ride along, and some wore gay pride shirts and rainbow hats and beads. Parade organizers said this violated rules against unauthorized advertising.
PFLAG and Avita urged them not to cancel; they said organizers had refused to talk with them.

 

CRASH-THREE DEAD-CHARGES
Charges filed in fiery crash that killed 3 family members
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – Prosecutors have filed manslaughter charges against a Utah driver after a fiery car crash that killed three members of a vacationing North Carolina family.
Charges were filed Wednesday against 42-year-old Jennifer Diamond, who is accused of hitting the family’s car head-on after moving into the opposite lane to pass a truck on a central Utah highway June 19.
Killed in the crash were 47-year-old Tyrone Bova of Archdale, North Carolina, his wife, 43-year-old Holly Jo Bova, and 11-year-old Haden Bova. Seventeen-year-old Tyler Bova was critically injured.
Diamond’s 9-year-old daughter also suffered critical injuries. Diamond was charged with three felony counts of manslaughter as well as aggravated assault and reckless driving.
Her lawyer Edward Stone says he disputes prosecutors’ version of what happened and expects the case to go to trial.