Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EST
Cows cast away by Dorian found alive on N Carolina island
(Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com)
CAPE LOOKOUT, N.C. (AP) – A trio of castaway cows has been discovered on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, where they apparently washed up after swimming for miles to escape Hurricane Dorian ‘s storm surge.
Cape Lookout National Seashore officials think the stranded cows swam up to 5 miles (8 kilometers) during the September storm before being found near Cape Lookout this month. The cows belong to a herd that roams freely on Cedar Island, across the sound. When Dorian generated an 8-foot (2-meter) “mini tsunami,” it washed them and dozens of other animals away, including 28 wild horses that died.
Seashore spokesman B.G. Horvat told McClatchy news group the cows are grazing peacefully after a harrowing feat of survival, but they need to go home. He thinks they’ll have to be sedated for the boat trip.
Police: North Carolina man stabbed grandmother to death
BURLINGTON, N.C. (AP) – A 25-year-old North Carolina man has been charged with stabbing his grandmother to death.
The Burlington Police Department said in a news release that authorities came Monday to the Burlington home of 71-year-old Cynthia Ziller and found her body. They say they determined she had been slain by stabbing.
Early Wednesday, police say they arrested her grandson, 25-year-old Nathan Jeremiah Ziller, who lives in nearby Graham.
Police say that he has been charged with first-degree murder. The motive for the killing wasn’t immediately clear.
Ziller was being held without bond. Lt. Nick Wright said police didn’t know if he had an attorney.
Man beaten, shot after setting up online phone transaction
DURHAM, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina teen has been charged with shooting, robbing and carjacking a man who was apparently lured with an online offer of a cell phone sale.
The Durham Police Department said in a news release that the attack happened Tuesday afternoon after the 19-year-old victim arranged to meet with two people to buy a cell phone through OfferUp.
Police say the victim was then robbed of his wallet, phone and 2007 Toyota Camry. The victim was shot once and pistol whipped. He was taken to the hospital with serious injuries.
Officers spotted the vehicle, attempted to stop it, and then the suspect crashed into a patrol car.
Joseph Demario Cates, 17, was charged as an adult with counts including robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. A second suspect is still at large.
A police spokeswoman didn’t immediately respond to a question about whether Cates has an attorney.
NC drug takeback nets 38,000 pounds of unused prescriptions
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Federal authorities say people in North Carolina turned in more than 38,000 pounds of unwanted or expired drugs for disposal at a drug take-back event held around the state.
The Drug Enforcement Administration’s National Prescription Drug Take-Back Day Initiative has operated for a decade to remove unneeded opioids and other dangerous drugs that could be abused if left in people’s homes.
This year’s event took place on October 26. It also included the collection and disposal of vaping devices and cartridges amid concerns about lung injuries due to vaping.
The next drug takeback day is in April.
NC woman gets prison for hiding foreign athletes from ICE
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – The founder of a now-defunct private school in North Carolina has been sentenced to 18 months in prison for hiding foreign student-athletes from federal immigration authorities.
News outlet report 65-year-old Evelyn Mack was sentenced Tuesday after previously pleading guilty to conspiracy to harbor aliens. Court documents say Mack, owner and schoolmaster of Evelyn Mack Academy, forged enrollment and immigration records for the student-athletes in return for bribes from coaches and recruiters.
She’s believed to have gotten $1,000 kickbacks on about 75 students, most from Africa. Prosecutors say Mack lied about the students attending her academy, which qualified for the student-visa program. They say the students were actually shipped across the country to schools not in the program, allowing them to avoid detection by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Fort Bragg team dispatched to N Carolina Interstate 26 crash
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Officials say a section of interstate in North Carolina was closed after a tractor-trailer crash, and a team from Fort Bragg was dispatched to handle what was described as “explosive ordnance disposal.”
The state Department of Transportation said in a news release that the crash occurred early Tuesday on Interstate 26 between the Blue Ridge Parkway and Long Shoals Road and led to a closure in the eastbound lanes.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports Fort Bragg spokesman Adam Luther said a team from the post was sent to assist with the ordnance disposal as a matter of standard procedure. Luther added that the truck was not headed to Fort Bragg, but to a destination in South Carolina.
The transportation department said the interstate was expected to reopen late Tuesday night.
North Carolina lawmakers reconvene, redistricting on list
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina legislators are returning to Raleigh to figure out how to change congressional districts now that state judges have blocked the current boundaries for next year’s elections because of their likely unlawful partisan bias.
The General Assembly reconvenes on Wednesday following a two-week break, with the redrawing and approval of U.S. House maps on its to-do list. Republican lawmakers are aiming to debate their favored configurations on chamber floors on Wednesday or Thursday. There’s no evidence yet that House and Senate redistricting leaders back the same plan.
A special House-Senate committee will receive public comment Wednesday morning on plans drawn by individual legislators over the past week.
Lawmakers also could vote on non-redistricting legislation covering a handful of topics. There’s no end date yet on the session adjournment.
FATAL INTERSTATE CRASH-LAWSUIT
Family of girl killed in crash sues driver, trucking company
WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) – The family of a 9-year-old girl who was one of two people who died after a tractor-trailer plowed into several vehicles on Interstate 95 has filed a federal lawsuit against the trucking company and driver.
The lawsuit was filed Tuesday by Linda Asamoah and Patrick Owusu of Newark. Their daughter, Roselyn Adjei-Owusa, died in the September crash, along with 61-year-old Albert Frankel of Middletown. Asamoah was seriously injured.
Frankel’s car was rear-ended in rush-hour congestion by the tractor-trailer, which then hit Asamoah’s vehicle and another car.
The lawsuit alleges that truck driver Brian Keith Winningham of Fairmont, North Carolina, was negligent, and that trucking company JNJ Express is vicariously liable for his actions.