AP-NC Newswatch

Financial News
September 12, 2019
AP Scorecard
September 12, 2019
AP-NC Newswatch

 

 

 

 

Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 6:20 a.m. EDT

 

 

 

TRANSGENDER DEATHS

‘That was my child’: Transgender deaths take toll in US

LUMBER BRIDGE, N.C. (AP) — A slaying in eastern North Carolina this summer left another victim in a deadly year for transgender people.

The Human Rights Campaign says 23-year-old Avery Scurlock of Lumber Bridge was one of 18 transgender people killed in the U.S. so far this year. Seventeen were black transgender women like Avery. Friends and family in Robeson County accepted Avery as a transgender woman named Chanel, but still called him Avery and used male pronouns unless he was dressed as a woman in public.

They say Avery was meeting a man he met on a dating website when he was shot eight times in early June. A 20-year-old man is charged with murder in the death.

The campaign says black transgender women have also been killed this year in 10 other states.

 

 

TROPICAL WEATHER-FLORENCE DONATIONS

North Carolina’s Disaster Relief Fund approaches $6 million

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Gov. Roy Cooper’s office says donations to North Carolina’s Disaster Relief Fund following Hurricane Florence have reached nearly $6 million.

Cooper thanked contributors on Wednesday as he met with storm survivors and non-profit partners in communities affected by the storm. The relief fund has raised $5.9 million from thousands of donors after Florence struck in September 2018. Individuals, schools, corporations, small businesses, foundations, and philanthropists make up the majority of the donors.

A news release from the governor’s office says donations have helped storm survivors with rent and mortgage payments, home repairs and replacement of personal property through grants to nonprofits and community groups.

The Golden LEAF Foundation and the North Carolina Community Foundation serve as the grant-making organizations for the relief fund.

 

 

RESTAURANT FRANCHISE-EEOC LAWSUIT

Lawsuit: Zaxby’s worker fired for reporting sex harassment

(Information from: The News & Observer, http://www.newsobserver.com)

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) — The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission is suing a North Carolina Zaxby’s franchise after a worker says she was fired for reporting sexual harassment by the franchise’s general manager.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports the complaint states the woman began working at the Greensboro restaurant in November 2018. The complaint says the general manager soon began making sexually inappropriate comments on a near-daily basis and requests to “perform various sexual acts.”

The lawsuit says the manager invited the woman for an expense-paid night at a hotel to have sex in December 2018 and requested she wear fishnet stockings.

The woman says she was fired when she reported the alleged harassment.

A Zaxby’s spokesman wasn’t immediately available for comment Wednesday.

 

 

 

MISSING MAN-SUSPECT ARRESTED

Suspect arrested in death of missing man in North Carolina

NEW BERN, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in North Carolina have arrested a suspect in the death of a man reported missing last week.

The Craven County Sheriff’s Office says in a news release that 26-year-old Kion Leonardo Beatty of New Bern is charged with murder in the death 22-year-old Deondre Tyshawn Surles, also from New Bern.

The sheriff’s office says Surles was reported missing by his mother on Sept. 2. Investigators found his body on Tuesday in a wooded area of the county.

The news release says deputies arrested Beatty based on interviews they conducted, but didn’t provide any additional information.

An online jail record didn’t provide information on Beatty’s status on Wednesday.

 

 

 

CIVIL WAR CENTER

Mayor seeks public input on planned Civil War history center

(Information from: The Fayetteville Observer, http://www.fayobserver.com)

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — The mayor of a North Carolina city wants the public’s input on a proposed Civil War history center.

The Fayetteville Observer reports Fayetteville Mayor Mitch Colvin is calling for a special city council meeting to gauge support. Colvin said the $7.5 million the city would have to invest in the project could be put to better use than the proposed North Carolina Civil War & Reconstruction History Center.

Colvin, who is black, says he no longer backs the project, and he says a growing number of the city’s black residents are expressing concerns about it.

Troy Williams, a criminal defense investigator and radio co-host, supports the center and accuses the mayor of stirring up opposition. Williams, who also is black, said the center will tell the truth about the war.

 

 

 

CAR CRASHED INTO HOUSE

2 hurt in civilian car chase, shooting, crash into NC home

ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Authorities say a civilian car chase between two men involved a shooting and ended when one of the drivers crashed into a North Carolina home, narrowly missing the people inside.

Resident Andy Ferrell says he was watching TV with his cat when the car slammed into the home Tuesday night.

Citing an Asheville police statement, news outlets report the male drivers were treated for minor injuries. Police say a preliminary investigation indicates that the drivers knew each other and got into a dispute that led to the chase.

They say the pursuing driver shot at the fleeing driver, striking him in the leg. They say the pursuing driver then rear-ended the fleeing car, sending it into the Asheville home.

Ferrell says he feels lucky he and his roommate weren’t hurt.

 

 

 

SUBMERGED CAR-BODIES

3 found dead in car submerged in North Carolina pond

MAXTON, N.C. (AP) — Authorities have found three bodies trapped in a car submerged in a North Carolina pond.

News outlets report a Tuesday 911 call about underwater tail lights led authorities to check Maxton Pond that afternoon. Lumberton Rescue and EMS Commander Robert Ivey says the vehicle ran off road, dropped 15 feet and struck part of a washed out dam before sinking below the water. Robeson County Sheriff Burnis Wilkins estimates the crash happened early this week. Reports say the roadway had been washed out by Hurricane Florence.

Authorities identified the three as 24-year-old Anastacia Delane Locklear, 26-year-old Tiffany Danielle Goines and 30-year-old Danielle Nicole Locklear. The property that holds the pond is controlled by the Lumbee Tribe. Tribe Chairman Harvey Godwin Jr. says there are plans to make the area safer.

 

 

 

SPECIAL ELECTION-NORTH CAROLINA-THE LATEST

The Latest: GOP’s Bishop wins N Carolina special election

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) — Conservative Republican Dan Bishop has won a special election for an open House seat in North Carolina, averting a demoralizing Democratic capture of a district the GOP has held for nearly six decades.

But Bishop’s narrow victory over centrist Democrat Dan McCready didn’t erase questions about whether President Donald Trump and his party’s congressional candidates face troubling headwinds approaching 2020.

Bishop is a state senator best known for a North Carolina law dictating which public bathrooms transgender people can use. He tied himself tightly to Trump, who staged an election-eve rally for him, and Tuesday’s voting seemed no less than a referendum on the president.

Trump quickly took credit for the triumph, proclaiming a “BIG NIGHT FOR THE REPUBLICAN PARTY” on Twitter.