Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 6:20 a.m. EDT
North Carolina men get decade in prison for armed carjacking
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Federal prosecutors say two men involved in an armed carjacking in North Carolina have each been sentenced to a more than decade in prison.
The Charlotte-based U.S. Attorney’s Office said in a news release that De’Asion Malik Coleman and Marquise Tyrelle Sharpe-Tall received their sentences Tuesday after pleading guilty last year to carjacking and firearms charges. Both men are 21-year-olds from Charlotte.
Authorities say the two men approached a parked car in 2017 and forced a man out of it after pointing a gun at him and hitting him. The victim called 911 and police caught the men after a pursuit.
An attorney for Coleman declined to comment. A lawyer for Sharpe-Tall didn’t immediately respond to an email seeking comment Tuesday afternoon.
NORTH CAROLINA RESTAURANT SHOOTING
1 shot, killed in argument outside North Carolina restaurant
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Police say one man was shot and killed during an argument outside a North Carolina restaurant.
Winston-Salem Police Capt. Steven Tollie told reporters the shooting happened Tuesday afternoon outside the restaurant near a busy mall.
He said responding officers found one man with a gunshot wound, and he later died. His name was not immediately released.
Tollie said he was shot after several men who were customers of the restaurant got into an argument outside.
He said a gun was fired during the argument, striking the man who later died. He said the men involved are being questioned by police and that no one connected with the shooting is at large.
He described it as an isolated event and not an ongoing threat to the community.
Replacement seated for lawmaker who stalked wife
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A 25-year-old Republican is taking over the North Carolina House seat previously held by a lawmaker pleaded guilty to cyberstalking his estranged wife.
A spokesman for state House Speaker Tim Moore said Tuesday that Jake Johnson was sworn in after being appointed to serve as the representative for a western North Carolina district that includes Transylvania and Polk counties and part of Henderson County.
The state Republican Party says Johnson became one of the youngest elected officials in state history when at 22 he became a Polk County commissioner.
Johnson replaces 27-year-old Cody Henson, who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges last month and resigned.
Henson said he used the wrong methods to try to keep his family together.
ELECTION 2020-RACIAL DISCORD
Trump’s America: Where politics dictate definition of racism
ERIE, Pa. (AP) – Americans are engaged in a heated national debate on race, and President Donald Trump’s provocations are often at the heart of the discussion.
In interviews with The Associated Press across a half-dozen states, voters see a country divided by racial animus. They say race relations are better than a generation ago, but worse than before Trump’s presidency.
Opinions break down largely along ideological lines. The debate has been fanned by Trump’s use of white identity politics and inflamed by white supremacist violence like last weekend’s shooting in El Paso, Texas.
Scott Bremner is a talk-radio host in Pennsylvania. He has often found himself refereeing race issues on the air. He tried to establish whether his listeners could agree on what racism is. He realized that the answer was no.
SCHOOL THREAT ASSESSMENTS
Schools increasingly aim to assess, manage student threats
Schools around the country have been setting up teams to assess threats posed by students who display signs of violence like the former student who compiled a “hit list” years ago in high school and went on to kill nine people in a weekend shooting in Dayton, Ohio.
Despite consensus on the approach’s benefits, school officials say they are limited in what they can do by privacy concerns, a lack of resources and limits on what they can communicate once a student leaves school.
Former classmates said the gunman, 24-year-old Connor Betts, was suspended for compiling a “hit list” and a “rape list” during his junior year of high school.
The goal of screening programs at a growing number of schools is to not only flag and address threats raised by students, but also to track and manage any risk they might pose to themselves and others.
N Carolina court OKs traffic stop after middle-finger wave
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina appeals court says a state trooper acted appropriately when he chased and stopped a vehicle after its passenger flashed an obscene hand gesture at the law officer.
A divided panel of the state Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday there was no legal error in charging Shawn Patrick Ellis with resisting or delaying the trooper during the Stanley County stop. Ellis initially refused to turn over identification. He argued in court the traffic stop was illegal.
Judge Chris Dillon wrote for the court that while Ellis’s middle-finger wave was protected free speech, the trooper had reason to believe that the crime of disorderly conduct was being committed. Dillon wrote that it’s illegal to make gestures plainly intended to provoke violent retaliation and cause a breach of the peace.
BODY CAMERAS-GAG ORDER
Appeals court upholds partial gag order on arrest footage
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina’s Court of Appeals has upheld a decision limiting what Greensboro City Council members could say publicly about body camera footage of a September 2016 arrest.
Court documents say police used a Taser on a black man during arrests downtown, resulting in a complaint. An internal probe upheld the arrests.
A court let city council members view body-camera footage, but they were only allowed to discuss it with other officials during official duties. State law says police video generally can’t be released without court approval.
City officials argued they should be able to discuss the video publicly with constituents.
But the appeals judges ruled Tuesday the lower court didn’t overstep state law, partly because the restrictions apply to what was on the video but not information officials got elsewhere.
N Carolina mass shooting victim calls for gun legislation
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – A survivor of a North Carolina mass shooting and Democratic state politicians are urging action on stalled gun-control legislation.
Shooting survivor Drew Pescaro lamented Tuesday that the April 30 attack at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte didn’t prompt the Republican-run General Assembly to act.
Pescaro said two Democrat-sponsored bills long stalled in committees might have prevented a gunman from killing two and wounding four in his Charlotte classroom. He raised his shirt to show bullet holes in his abdomen and back.
Democrats want to force action on legislation allowing family or police to get a court order removing firearms if someone is judged a danger to themselves or others. Another measure would prohibit assault-style weapons for anyone under 21, ban high-capacity bullet magazines and require firearm liability insurance.