AP-NC Newswatch

Financial News
July 11, 2019
AP Scorecard
July 11, 2019
AP-NC Newswatch

 

 

 

 

Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EDT

 

 

RESTAURANT SHOOTING-NORTH CAROLINA
North Carolina man charged in fatal Steak n’ Shake robbery
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina police have charged an ex-convict with murder in a fatal Steak ‘n Shake robbery attempt .
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police also charged 30-year-old Eddie Doh with attempted murder, assault and armed robbery Wednesday, and they say more charges could come once he’s released from the hospital.
Pineville police shot Doh when they responded to calls for help at the restaurant Tuesday. Charlotte Police say Doh fatally shot 48-year-old employee Darnell Harris and wounded 53-year-old Robert Carpenter Jr.
Steak ‘n Shake employees told news outlets a masked man entered the restaurant and began firing in a robbery attempt.
The Charlotte Obersver reports Doh previously pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to first-degree murder in 2013 and was released in January after spending years in prison.

 

 

HOTEL DEATHS-CARBON MONOXIDE
NC hotel carbon monoxide levels not high at time of deaths
(Information from: The Asheville Citizen-Times, http://www.citizen-times.com)
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Tests have found that carbon monoxide levels weren’t elevated at a North Carolina hotel shortly after two guests were found dead last month.
The Asheville Citizen-Times reports three tests by the city’s fire department found no elevated carbon monoxide levels in the Best Western room where 28-year-old Jacob Galloway and 39-year-old James Landreth were staying.
The North Carolina men were visiting the area for a rugby tournament and had celebrated their victory June 8. They were found dead the next day by another person staying in the room. A search warrant says police found no indication of drug use or foul play.
A Friday statement by Asheville police says authorities are still awaiting final autopsy and toxicology reports. It said those may take up to eight months to complete.

 

 

KFC EXPLOSION
Overnight explosion levels North Carolina KFC restaurant
EDEN, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina police say nobody was inside a KFC restaurant when it was destroyed in an overnight explosion.
Police responded to the blast in Eden, North Carolina, around 1 a.m. Thursday. Eden Police photos show the collapsed building with debris scattered on the road and throughout the parking lot. Just the KFC sign was left untouched.
Investigators say they believe nobody was inside at the time. Police haven’t said what may have caused the explosion.
WCNC reports energy and natural gas crews arrived shortly afterward, along with Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives officers and the state fire marshal.
Eden police posted that all lanes of Highway 14 around the restaurant will be closed for an extended period as they investigate.

 

 

UNC INTERIM CHANCELLOR
UNC announces new interim chancellor for the School of Arts
(Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com)
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – The University of North Carolina announced their new interim chancellor for the School of Arts.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports Brian Cole will take over as interim chancellor, replacing Lindsay Bierman. President of the UNC System Bill Roper made the announcement Wednesday.
Bierman was chancellor for five years and was appointed to be the new chief executive officer of UNC-TV Public Media North Carolina.
Cole has been the current dean of the School of Music since 2016, where he oversees operations at the schools and programs at the graduate, undergrad and high school level. He has also been executive director of two pre-professional graduate institutes at the school – the A.J. Fletcher Opera Institute and the Chrysalis Chamber Music Institute.
Cole will take over August 1.

 

 

OFFICER SHOT-DRIVE-BY
NC officer shot in drive-by while probing separate drive-by
HENDERSON, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina police officer has been shot and wounded in a drive-by while investigating a separate drive-by.
News outlets report Henderson police say the officer was shot early Thursday while conducting interviews related to the Wednesday shooting that wounded a man. Police say the officer has been hospitalized. Details of the officer’s condition are unclear.
Authorities didn’t immediately release the identities of those involved. State Highway Patrol and local authorities are investigating.

 

 

HURRICANE-ELECTRIC COOPERATIVES
3 NC electric coops get $22M total for hurricane damage
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Three North Carolina electric cooperatives will share more than $22 million as reimbursement from the state and federal governments for systems damaged during Hurricane Florence last year.
The state Department of Public Safety says the Carteret-Craven, Four County and Tideland electric cooperatives will receive the money as reimbursement.
High winds, rain and flooding caused by the hurricane damaged poles, lines and transformers.
The cooperatives provide electrical service to Beaufort, Bladen, Carteret, Craven, Dare, Duplin, Hyde, Jones, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Sampson and Washington counties.
Four County Electric Membership Corp. will receive more than $11 million, and Tideland will receive more than $9 million. Tideland will receive about $2 million.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency will pay more than $16 million of the cost. North Carolina’s share is more than $5.5 million.

 

 

STATE BUDGET
Despite budget impasse, House unanimously OKs stopgap plan
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Debate over a narrow spending package to help North Carolina government operate in the new fiscal year turned into finger-pointing over a broader budget impasse.
The House unanimously approved on Wednesday what Republican budget-writers call a “stopgap” spending bill and sent it to the Senate.
There’s been no danger of a government shutdown since the year began July 1 even as Gov. Roy Cooper vetoed a two-year budget written by Republican legislators. But Wednesday’s measure provides money for items like public school enrollment growth, anticipated juvenile justice case increases and tax collection improvements.
While some Republicans pointed out what they consider good items in their budget bill are absent from the stopgap plan, Democrats blamed GOP leaders for failing to negotiate with Cooper in good faith to end the deadlock.

 

 

NORTH CAROLINA-DISPUTED ELECTION
Dem in NC US House race redo: $1.74M raised last quarter
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – The North Carolina Democrat in a special U.S. House election forced by a ballot-collection scandal reports raising $1.74 million in the three months ending in June.
The quarterly fundraising total means Dan McCready’s campaign has nearly $1.8 million to spend for September’s special election.
The April through June period included a Republican primary in which state Sen. Dan Bishop finished atop nine other GOP candidates in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District.
Bishop’s campaign didn’t respond to a request for similar fundraising figures. McCready spokesman Matt Fried wouldn’t release the full campaign fundraising report ahead of Monday’s federal deadline.
Last November’s election was voided after a political operative working for the former GOP candidate collected and could have tampered with mail-in ballots.