Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EDT
SEX ABUSE-MARINE OFFICER
Judges overturn child sex abuse conviction of Marine colonel
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) – A three-judge military panel has overturned the child sexual abuse conviction of a decorated Marine colonel who was based in North Carolina.
The Daily News of Jacksonville reports the judges overturned the conviction of Col. Daniel H. Wilson of Mason, Washington.
In September 2017 in a hearing at Camp Lejeune, Wilson was found guilty of sexual abuse of a child; six counts of conduct unbecoming of an officer and gentleman and absence without leave. He was sentenced to 5 1/2 years of confinement and was dismissed from service.
The United States Navy-Marine Corps Court of Criminal Appeals overturned his sex abuse conviction this month, ruling that the evidence was legally and factually insufficient.
The panel remanded the case for a rehearing to deliver a sentence on the other convictions.
House schedules override vote on Cooper’s NC budget veto
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper won’t get to influence a final state budget unless enough fellow Democrats uphold his veto of a spending plan penned by General Assembly Republicans.
The GOP-controlled state House scheduled for Monday an override vote on Cooper’s budget veto. Only three Democrats sided with House Republicans during a final budget vote last week. Republicans likely won’t be successful unless that number more than doubles.
Both the House and Senate would have to agree to an override. Cooper and Democratic legislative leaders are confident that won’t happen, leading to potentially protracted negotiations with Republicans.
Cooper called the GOP budget an “absolute failure” for lacking Medicaid expansion and cutting corporate taxes. Republicans say Cooper is blocking state worker pay raises and other health care benefits with his veto.
EMERGENCY LANDING-WEST VIRGINIA
Plane makes emergency landing in W.Va. shortly after takeoff
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) – Officials at a West Virginia airport say a plane with 60 people on board made an emergency landing shortly after takeoff with a possible problem with the landing gear.
Yeager Airport in Charleston says in a news release the PSA Airlines plane departed from the airport Saturday but then returned and landed safely. The plane was headed for Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina.
Police and fire crews were mobilized at different locations around the airport as the plane returned. No injuries were reported.
FATAL CRASH CHARGES
North Carolina man takes deal in Nebraska crash death case
(Information from: Kearney Hub, http://www.kearneyhub.com/)
KEARNEY, Neb. (AP) – A North Carolina truck driver accused in the crash death of a 14-year-old girl in Nebraska has taken a plea deal.
The Kearney Hub reports that 39-year-old Drew Davis, of Gastonia, North Carolina, pleaded guilty last week to misdemeanor vehicular homicide. Prosecutors lowered the charge from a felony in exchange for Davis’ plea. He’s scheduled to be sentenced in September.
Rachelle Kort of Mitchell, Nebraska, was killed in the June 29, 2017, crash on Interstate 80 near the Odessa exit.
Prosecutors say Davis had parked his semitrailer on the south shoulder of I-80 to look up directions. When he tried to merge back into traffic, the truck struck a 2007 sedan in which Kort was riding.
HORSE HIT BY CAR
Wild horse ok after car collision on Outer Banks
COROLLA, N.C. (AP) – Caretakers for a group of wild horses on North Carolina’s Outer Banks say a horse suffered only minor injuries after a collision with a vehicle on the beach.
The Corolla Wild Horse fund said Sunday that they identified the injured horse as a sorrel stallion that suffered only some swelling and scrapes on his muzzle as a result of the Friday night crash.
The vehicle suffered significant damage Friday night, and the horse ran off in the dark. Searchers looked for the horse over the weekend, concerned it might have been badly hurt.
Four-wheel drive vehicles are routinely allowed to drive on the Corolla beaches, which are also home to herd of about 100 wild horses. Their lineage is believed to trace back to 16th-century Spanish explorations.
North Carolina man charged after shots fired at police
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina man has been charged with attempted murder of a police officer after he was arrested in a home-barricade situation in which police say he exchanged fire with officers.
Fayetteville Police on Saturday announced charges against 47-year-old Russell Peverley including three counts of attempted first-degree murder.
Police said Peverley barricaded himself in his home late Friday night after neighbors called police to report a domestic disturbance. Officers heard gunshots when they arrived.
Police say he fired at the officers, and they returned fire. Police said no officers were injured, but multiple police cars were struck with bullets.
Peverley was arrested early Saturday morning and taken to the hospital for treatment. It is unclear if he was shot.
Peverley is white. The races of the officers were not released.
FATAL CHILD SHOOTING
5-year-old killed in drive-by shooting; 3 teenagers charged
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Three teenagers in North Carolina have been charged with murder after a 5-year-old was shot and killed in what police say was a drive-by shooting.
Winston-Salem Police say the boy was shot in the head while he was in his apartment on Cole Ridge Circle, off Cole Road.
Police say the shooters appeared to be firing randomly and that three separate apartments were struck. No one else was injured.
Police arrested three teenagers later Saturday. Police identified 17-year-old Oscar Mendez-Rodriguez as one of those arrested. A 14-year-old and 15-year-old are also charged but were not publicly identified. The investigation is ongoing.
Police said it was the 13th homicide in the city so far this year, compared to 12 at the same point last year.
1-year-old found safe after car stolen from delivery driver
SOUTHERN PINES, N.C. (AP) – Police in North Carolina say a toddler was found safe after a thief stole a car containing the child from a food delivery driver.
Southern Pines Police say a DoorDash driver was making deliveries Friday night with her 1-year-old son in tow.
At about 9 p.m., she made a delivery on Murray Hill Road and left her car running and unlocked.
Police say the car was then stolen with the child inside.
The car was recovered about an hour later on South Gaines Street a mile or two away. The boy was alone and unharmed.
Police said Saturday that they have an active kidnapping investigation underway to find the person who stole the car.