Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EDT
SUPREME COURT-KAVANAUGH-THE LATEST
The Latest: Donald Trump Jr. says Kavanaugh case ‘scary’
WASHINGTON (AP) – The president’s eldest son is saying the fallout from the sexual misconduct claims against Judge Brett Kavanaugh has him more worried about his sons than his daughters.
Donald Trump Jr. has five children and suggested he feared “my sons” would be most negatively impacted by similar he-said, she-said allegations. Trump Jr. tells DailyMail TV that he found the situation “scary” and that lives could be ruined by false claims. He spoke during an interview set to air Monday.
The president’s eldest son has been a strong defender of Kavanaugh, who has been accused of sexual misconduct. Kavanaugh denies the allegations.
One of his accusers, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford, testified before Congress last week.
The FBI is engaging in a weeklong probe into the claims against Kavanaugh
Unattended iron likely caused fire, killing 1 in N Carolina
(Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com)
WILKESBORO, N.C. (AP) – Fire officials in North Carolina believe an unattended iron caused the house fire that killed a woman.
Broadway Fire Chief Tracy Brooks tells the Winston-Salem Journal that the first firefighters on the scene Sunday morning saw an explosion and found the fire already though the roof. He says a body of a woman was found inside a bedroom.
Fire investigator Nick Hamby says the iron was in the home’s living room.
The woman’s name is being held pending notification of next of kin.
Search for hiker underway in Great Smoky Mountains park
ASHEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – Search efforts are continuing for an Ohio woman who went missing while hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park on the North Carolina-Tennessee border.
The National Park Service said in a news release over the weekend that personnel from agencies in Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia are aiding in the search for 53-year-old Mitzie Sue “Susan” Clements.
Clements was last seen in the Clingmans Dome area of the park on Tuesday. She was hiking with her daughter when they were separated.
The news release says as of Saturday, around 125 trained searchers were involved, as well as helicopters, drones and canine teams. It says the rescuers are working in unforgiving terrain, and volunteer searchers are not being sought.
The park service couldn’t immediately be reached Sunday for an update.
Funeral services set for 6-year-old who disappeared at park
GASTONIA, N.C. (AP) – Funeral services have been set for a 6-year-old North Carolina boy who went missing at a park and was found dead after an extensive search.
According to an obituary , a visitation for Maddox Ritch will be held Thursday at a funeral home in Huntersville, followed by a funeral service the next day. The burial will be private.
The boy’s father has said Maddox ran off as he and a friend walked at Rankin Lake Park in Gastonia Sept. 22. Ian Ritch has said he couldn’t catch up with his son, who was autistic, because he has neuropathy in his feet due to diabetes.
Maddox’s body was found in a creek slightly more than a mile (1.6 kilometers) east of the park after days of searching. An investigation is ongoing.
TROPICAL WEATHER-MOSQUITO CONTROL
After Florence, communities work to keep mosquitoes at bay
(Information from: The StarNews, http://starnewsonline.com)
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) – Communities inundated by flooding in the aftermath of Hurricane Florence are bracing for an onslaught of mosquitoes.
The StarNews of Wilmington reports that the state of North Carolina has identified 27 counties that will split $4 million in emergency mosquito-control funding. The counties include New Hanover, Pender and Brunswick, which were among areas hit by heavy rains after Florence smashed ashore Sept. 14 and nearly stalled for days over parts of the Carolinas.
Stagnant floodwaters provide breeding grounds for the pests.
Crews completed a first round of spraying in New Hanover and Brunswick counties last week.
Officials say residents of affected counties can help by emptying any containers with standing water. People are also being encouraged to stay inside for 30 minutes if they see spraying crews in their community.
TROPICAL WEATHER-FLAG AUCTION-NORTH CAROLINA
Tattered flag famous from Florence auctioned for Red Cross
(Information from: The StarNews, http://starnewsonline.com)
WILMINGTON, N.C. (AP) – A tattered U.S. flag that captured attention nationwide as it whipped in the wind on the North Carolina coast during Hurricane Florence is being auctioned to raise money for the American Red Cross.
The flag was flying over a light station called Frying Pan Tower as Florence made its final approach earlier this month.
The tower’s owner, Richard Neal, tells The StarNews of Wilmington a live camera feed of the flag blowing in the storm averaged 100,000 viewers an hour on Sept. 13, the day before Florence made landfall.
Neal tells the newspaper he is shocked by the outpouring of deep-pocketed offers so far in the charity auction. As of Saturday evening, eBay showed the current bid was at $10,100.
Bidding ends at 10 p.m. EST on Sunday.
CIVIL WAR STORIES
North Carolina history group in search of Civil War stories
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina history group is searching for stories about the Civil War.
The N.C. Civil War History & Reconstruction Center has been gathering oral histories from North Carolinians with a goal of recording stories from each of the state’s 100 counties. The center says in a news release it wants to build a mosaic of what life was like in North Carolina from the people who lived it.
The stories will be used to teach schoolchildren what the Civil War was really like through stories which were passed down through generations.
A panel of North Carolina students in grades 4 through high school ranked the subjects they most wanted to hear about, and among them were culture, law and politics, women and the home front.
Police say armed repairman shoots, kills attacking monkey
(Information from: The Charlotte Observer, http://www.charlotteobserver.com)
SHALLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Police in a coastal North Carolina town say a repairman won’t face charges after he fatally shot a pet monkey that escaped and attacked a woman.
A Shallotte police detective told The Charlotte Observer Friday evening that the snow monkey escaped a backyard cage and “went bananas,” biting the woman and scratching her arms and legs.
Police say the monkey then ran across the street and banged on a neighbor’s glass door. The repairman approached the animal, which then ran toward him.
Detective Sgt. John Holman says the repairman killed it with one shot from his small handgun. Holman says the man had a concealed carry permit and was protecting the neighborhood.
Holman says the monkey’s owner was properly licensed to keep it and other exotic pets.