Ashe County PSA Hurricane Florence
Please DO NOT call 911 dispatch, the sheriff’s office or the EOC with road condition, water level or other non-emergency questions during this storm. These organizations will be tied up handling life safety issues. Please utilize the following sources for information on these things:
Road conditions: Dial 511 (stay on the line through the recording for an operator) or check this website: https://tims.ncdot.gov/tims/
Water levels/stream gauges: https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=county_cd or https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=rnk
You can also check this Hurricane Florence Ashe County FaceBook page that was set up by Susan Colvard Carter for residents to post flood photos and videos:
Floodplain maps: https://qpublic.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=626&LayerID=11192&PageTypeID=2&PageID=4585&KeyValue=09306136%20005
For individuals planning on staying at the shelter, please bring the following (this list will also be posted on the Ashe County Emergency Management FaceBook page):
Items recommended if an individual plans to stay at a shelter:
- All Required Medications and Medical Support Equipment: (7 DAYS or 2 WEEK SUPPLY)
- Dietary Needs—Food and Water/ Liquids: Bring enough nonperishable food to survive for 72 hours per person. (Every endeavor will be made to provide food and water; however it is always best to have your own supply ready if conditions warrant it.)
- Important Papers: Wills, deeds, licenses, insurance policies, home inventory, doctors’ orders
- If a person has a Do Not Resuscitate or Living Will, documents must be present to be honored.
- Identification: with photo and current address, medical identification card
- Comfort Items: Small games, cards, books, batteries, etc.
- Personal Hygiene Items: Toothbrush, toothpaste, brush/comb, deodorant, towels, dentures, glasses, hearing aids and batteries, etc.