AP-NC Newswatch

Financial News
March 25, 2019
AP Scorecard
March 25, 2019
AP-NC Newswatch

 

 

 

 

 

Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 3:20 p.m. EDT

 

 

DUKE UNIVERSITY-WHISTLEBLOWER LAWSUIT
Duke University pays $112M to settle faked research lawsuit
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Duke University will pay $112 million to settle a whistleblower lawsuit after federal prosecutors said the school used a research technician’s fake data to land federal grants.
The Justice Department claimed in its lawsuit that the private university in Durham knowingly submitted claims for dozens of research grants that contained falsified or fabricated information. Prosecutors said Monday that the faked data involved mouse studies.
Duke said it discovered the problem in 2013 after the technician was fired for embezzling university money. The school says in a statement that it’s repaying grant money and related penalties. The statement says the technician pleaded guilty to two counts of forgery and paid restitution to the university.
A former Duke employee who alerted the government will get nearly $34 million.

 

 

POLICE SHOOT ARMED MAN
Police: Officer fatally shot armed man in parking lot
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – Officials in North Carolina say police fatally shot an armed man in the parking lot of a fast-food restaurant.
Charlotte-Mecklenberg Police said officers responded to a report of an armed man at a business Monday. Images from the scene show a heavy police presence surrounding a Burger King.
Chief Kerr Putney says employees reported the man gave them an “uneasy feeling.” He says the man walked outside, where officers ordered him to drop the gun. Putney says one officer perceived a “lethal threat” and shot the man, who was taken to a hospital and died.
Police say the officer was placed on routine administrative leave.
Police say the names of the officer and the man who was killed are being temporarily withheld pending family notification. Police didn’t release their races.

 

 

TEACHER PROTESTS
North Carolina teachers’ group plan another May rally
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina’s largest teacher-lobbying group will organize another march and rally this spring to seek higher school salaries and funding from the General Assembly.
North Carolina Association of Educators President Mark Jewell confirmed on Monday the group will hold a public education “Day of Action” for May 1 in Raleigh.
An estimated 19,000 people marched last May to the Legislative Building. They pressed unsuccessfully for Republican lawmakers to stop certain tax cuts that NCAE and ally Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper said squeezed money from K-12 education. Jewell says NCAE efforts at the rally and in the fall helped elect favored lawmakers so the GOP no longer has veto-proof majorities.
North Carolina average teacher salaries have been ratcheting up state rankings recently, but Jewell says veteran teachers have been left behind.

 

 

CONFEDERATE MONUMENT-NORTH CAROLINA
Legal battle over removed Confederate statue continues
(Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com)
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Although a Confederate monument no longer stands in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, the legal war over its fate wages on.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports several filings last week in the United Daughters of the Confederacy’s lawsuit against the city concerned a range of issues, from the legality of removal to ownership.
Winston-Salem maintains the statue that stood on private property is owned by the UDC. The UDC itself initially claimed ownership, but later said it was owned by Forsyth County and thus protected under the state law governing publicly owned monuments.
One motion attempts to force Winston-Salem to re-erect the statue, arguing it didn’t pose a threat to public safety. Assistant City Manager Damon Dequenne filed an affidavit last week saying it was too easy to topple, thus risking injuries.

 

 

GREENSBORO SHOOTINGS
Police in North Carolina investigate 2 homicides in 6 hours
(Information from: News & Record, http://www.news-record.com)
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) – Police in a North Carolina city are investigating two fatal shootings within a 6-hour span.
The News & Record of Greensboro reports Greensboro police spokesman Ron Glenn said officers are not searching for a suspect in the first shooting and that the second shooting does not appear to be random, but he provided no further details.
Officers responded late Sunday to a report of a shooting on the city’s south side and found a victim with a gunshot wound. Police tried to revive the person but couldn’t.
The second shooting happened around 4 a.m. Monday at an apartment complex on the north side of the city. Officers found a gunshot victim inside the building.
There have been no arrests in either case.

 

 

THEATER SHOOTING
Police: Man shot in dispute over seating at movie theater
CONCORD, N.C. (AP) – Police in North Carolina are looking for a man who they say shot another moviegoer in a dispute over seating at a movie theater.
News outlets report Concord police say officers were called to a theater showing the horror film “Us” at Concord Mills mall around 6 p.m. Sunday and found a male with a single gunshot wound which was not life-threatening.
Investigators say the suspect left the theater with a woman.
A news release from police says it’s not believed the suspect and the victim knew each other.

 

 

OBIT-YONGUE
Former North Carolina Rep. Doug Yongue dies at age 82
LAURINBURG, N.C. (AP) – Services have been held for a late local North Carolina educator who got elected to the state House and became a top Democratic budget-writer in the chamber.
Rep. Doug Yongue’s funeral was Sunday at a United Methodist church in Laurinburg. Yongue died Thursday at age 82 at Scotland Memorial Hospital. Richard Boles Funeral Services co-owner Sharon Boles said Monday that Yongue died from natural causes.
The Laurinburg Exchange reports Yongue was a school principal and superintendent before retiring in 1993. He was appointed the next year to the House and elected several times before losing in 2010. He focused on education spending while a House Appropriations Committee co-chairman.
Survivors include his wife of 57 years, a son and a daughter.

 

 

WAKE FOREST-INSTAGRAM POST
Racist Instagram post about HBCU sparks Wake Forest probe
(Information from: Winston-Salem Journal, http://www.journalnow.com)
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Wake Forest University officials have condemned an Instagram post that suggested the North Carolina school build a wall to separate it from a historically black public university in the same city.
The Winston-Salem Journal reports that an Instagram post on Friday endorsed a candidate for student body president, saying “he wants to build a wall between Wake and Winston-Salem State and he’ll make them pay for it.” That’s ostensibly a reference to President Donald Trump’s campaign promise to build a border wall financed by Mexico.
Wake Forest has confirmed that the student endorsed is not actually running, and did not participate in the posting. Wake Forest University President Nathan Hatch called the post “deeply offensive and unacceptable,” even if intended as parody.
Hatch said the school is investigating.

 

 

AP-WF-03-25-19 1920GMT