AP Entertainment

AP Sports
March 18, 2021
Friday, March 19th
March 18, 2021
AP Entertainment

 

 

Entertainment:

 

APPEALS COURT TOSSES JURY VERDICT IN DEATH OF “WALKING DEAD” STUNTMAN
ATLANTA (AP) – An appeals court in Georgia has rejected an $8 million jury verdict awarded to the family of a stuntman who was killed working on an episode of “The Walking Dead.” The appeals court said the kind of civil claims brought by the family of stuntman John Bernecker were barred by the Workers Compensation Act. The stuntman, who was 33, died from a head injury suffered while performing a fall from a balcony 25 feet above the ground while filming “The Walking Dead” in 2017. The family claimed that producers skimped on safety measures because of financial and scheduling concerns.

 

NOTORIOUS B.I.G.’S MOM MAKES DOCUMENTARY ABOUT HER SON
REDDING, Penn. (AP) – Many people know about The Notorious B.I.G. But his mom says no one knew him better than she did – and she wants to tell his story. Voletta Wallace has put together a documentary about the late rapper. She’s the executive producer of “Biggie: I Got a Story to Tell,” now streaming on Netflix. Wallace says so far, reception to the project has been positive, with many saying it told them things about the rapper they didn’t know. For example, while people know Biggie hailed from the New York City borough of Brooklyn, he had Jamaican roots. His mother says she gets a kick out the fact that the project is showing people about her son as Christopher Wallace, not just as Biggie Smalls.

 

NEW DOCUMENTARY FOCUSES ON COLLEGE ADMISSIONS SCANDAL
NEW YORK (AP) – It’s a documentary that has been, as they say, ripped from recent headlines. It takes a deep look at William “Rick” Singer, the mastermind behind the college admissions scandal that netted actors Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman jail sentences. Chris Smith is the man behind “Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admission Scandal” – the effort by wealthy parents to bribe their kids’ way into elite colleges and universities. Smith teamed up with his longtime collaborator Jon Karmen for the project, which is now streaming on Netflix.

 

JAMES LEVINE DIES, RULED OVER METROPOLITAN OPERA FOR MORE THAN FOUR DECADES
NEW YORK (AP) – For decades, he was basically the face of the Metropolitan Opera. Conductor James Levine has died. He was 77 and his doctor says he died last week of natural causes in Palm Springs, California. Levine made his debut at the Met in 1971 and went on to become one of the most famed artists in the company’s history. He conducted more than 2,500 performances and served as either music director or artistic director from 1976 on. His later years were marred by physical and moral failings. He was forced out in 2016 after a diagnosis of Parkinson’s disease. The following year, Levine was suspended after newspaper stories revealed allegations of sexual misconduct dating to the 1960s.