LATE NIGHT HOSTS RETURN TO HUMOR
NEW YORK (AP) – Seth Meyers promised his viewers he would be back at cracking jokes last night – and he kept his word. The NBC “Late Night” host returned with a monologue and a fresh segment of his “A Closer Look” feature after ditching humor on the show he did live on Wednesday night. Among the jokes were some aimed at the insurrection. One was that, “we learned that if you incite a coup against the U.S. government, you WILL face up to 12 months without a Twitter account. Then Meyers briefly summed up Wednesday’s riot – then said if there was anyone hearing this for the first time, “Welcome, Fox viewers.”
MEDIA THAT APPEAL TO CONSERVATIVES CONDEMN, EXPLAIN U.S. CAPITOL RIOT
NEW YORK (AP) – It’s a delicate tightrope to walk for media outlets that appeal to conservatives: trying to condemn the deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol while continuing to back President Donald Trump and his disproven claim that the election was stolen from him. Some on networks like Fox have denounced the deadly violence during Wednesday’s takeover – while claiming it was sparked by those who’ve lost faith in the electoral process. Other commentators played up the “whataboutism” angle – claiming that the mainstream news media focused negative attention on the Capitol riot – after ignoring violence that stemmed from Black Lives Matter protests last summer.
TRUMP ALLY LOSES BOOK DEAL IN WAKE OF CAPITOL RIOT
NEW YORK (AP) – Senator Josh Hawley is calling it “Orwellian” and an attack on the First Amendment. But Simon & Schuster calls it a fitting response to someone who took part in “a dangerous threat to our democracy and freedom.” They are talking about a move by the publishing house to cancel Hawley’s book. In a statement yesterday, Simon & Schuster said canceling Hawley’s book deal came after Wednesday’s insurrection – in which a mob loyal to President Donald Trump stormed the Capitol. The insurrection forced a pause in the election certification process – and caused lawmakers to scurry for cover. Hawley says he plans to sue to get his book published.
“MEAN GIRLS” SHUTTING DOWN
NEW YORK (AP) – Another Broadway production has bitten the dust because of the coronavirus pandemic. Producers of “Mean Girls” say they won’t return the musical to the boards when theaters finally reopen. In doing so, the production will give up its spot at the August Wilson Theater after playing more than 800 performances – and grossing $124 million. Meanwhile the musical, based on Tina Fey’s 2004 movie, is planning to resume its North American tour, which began last year – that is, whenever live performances with audiences can resume.