AP Entertainment

AP Sports
July 5, 2018
ATH: Chelsey Hargrave Nominated for NCAA Woman of the Year
July 5, 2018
AP Entertainment

 

 

 

PM Prep-Segue

 

 

NATHAN’S HOT DOG EATING CONTEST

NEW YORK (AP) – Judging errors cast widespread confusion over Joey “Jaws” Chestnut’s record-setting 11th title at the annual Nathan’s Famous July Fourth hot dog eating contest. Chestnut took home the Mustard Belt after downing 74 franks and buns in 10 minutes – two more than he did last year. Second-place finisher Carmen Cincotti ate 64. But longtime announcer George Shea tells The Associated Press he noticed in real time that jurists measuring Chestnut’s and Cincotti’s intake weren’t counting from two plates stacked with franks that the eaters were drawing from. The under-counted tally was then displayed on live TV. Shea says both Chestnut and Cincotti were adamant about their scores, which were certified by Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez. He says new judges will be used next year.

 

A FRACTURED FOURTH?

WASHINGTON (AP) – Usually if you hear someone talk about taking in the Fourth of July festivities in Washington D.C., it means one thing: hanging out on the national mall, watching performances by singers and bands on the West lawn of the U.S. Capitol. But this year, it could also mean watching a concert organized by the White House – set in competition with the larger gathering on the mall. If you’re going by star power, the PBS show “A Capitol Fourth” has bigger stars, including The Beach Boys, The Temptations and Chita Rivera. The biggest draws at the White House event: “American Idol” finalists Jonny Brenns and Jax.

MICHAEL JACKSON’S DAUGHTER GETS TRO AGAINST ALLEGED STALKER

LOS ANGELES (AP) – Michael Jackson’s daughter Paris Jackson has been granted a temporary restraining order against a man she says has been stalking her. The TRO was granted yesterday in Los Angeles. And it orders 23-year-old Nicholas Stevens to stay away from Paris Jackson at least until July 24. Jackson is 20 – and says in court documents that she and a band mate were leaving a recording studio last month when Stevens approached. She says Stevens, who she doesn’t know, told her he had waited for her for 15 hours the week before. She also says Stevens refused to leave, mentioned a shotgun – and said “by midnight it will all be over.”

KEVIN SPACEY – POLICE INVESTIGATE SIX ASSAULT CLAIMS

LONDON (AP) – British police are investigating six claims of sexual assault or assault by Academy Award-winning actor Kevin Spacey, three more than previously disclosed. British media reported earlier this year that London’s Metropolitan Police force was investigating allegations against the former “House of Cards” star. Police in Britain don’t name suspects until they are charged. Asked about Spacey, the force did not identify him by name but said Wednesday that detectives were investigating allegations of sexual assault alleged to have taken place in London’s Westminster borough in 1996 and the western England city of Gloucester in 2013. The force says three other complaints of sexual assault and one of assault by the same suspect have been made. Spacey was artistic director of London’s Old Vic theater for 11 years until 2015.

 

BONO – UNITED NATIONS

UNITED NATIONS (AP) – Bono says the nations of the world need to unite – to save the United Nations. The Irish rock star says the U.N. and other international institutions are under attack – and the world must unite to make sure they keep operating. Bono gave a speech Monday to U.N. diplomats – and urged continued support for the European Union and NATO. While Bono didn’t name countries responsible for threatening global institutions, his words seem to be aimed at President Donald Trump, who has criticized both the EU and NATO. Trump has also pulled the U.S. out of the Paris climate agreement – and hit the World Trade Organization with new U.S. tariffs.

 

XXXTENTACION-PERSON OF INTEREST SOUGHT

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) – Law enforcement authorities in South Florida want to talk to a 22-year-old man wanted as a “person of interest” in the shooting death of rising rap star XXXTentacion (ex-ex-ex-ten-ta-see-YAWN). Broward Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Veda Coleman-Wright said in a news release sent Tuesday night that detectives want to ask Robert Allen what he knows about the rapper’s death. She says he’s also wanted on a felony warrant for violating probation for possession of flakka and carrying a concealed weapon. XXXTentacion, whose real name is Jahseh Dwayne Onfroy, was shot June 18. Detectives said a SUV blocked the 20-year-old rapper’s luxury sports car in the driveway of a Fort Lauderdale-area motorcycle dealership and two masked men confronted him during an apparent robbery attempt. Twenty-two-year-old Dedrick Williams faces murder charges. He hasn’t entered a plea.

 

MEEK MILL – RECORDING

PHILADELPHIA (AP) – If a recording for a documentary is to be believed, even the lawyer who reps the Philadelphia judge handling the Meek Mill case disagrees with her decision not to give the rap star a new trial. A documentary on the rapper captures comments made by the attorney for Genese Brinkley. Philly.com reports the attorney says if he were the judge, Mill would have gotten a new trial. The lawyer, Charles Peruto Jr., also says Brinkley looks “awful” for not granting Mill a new proceeding. Prosecutors have called for a new trial, because they no longer believe a key witness in the case. Meanwhile, Mill’s legal team is still trying to get Brinkley kicked off the case.

 

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE CONCERT CANCELED FOR THIS YEAR

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) – You can call it the “no” in the Nobel Peace Prize this year. The group that hands out the honor has decided to scrap the concert given for winners. The Nobel people say they are trying to figure if the concert is the right thing to do – and will use this year’s cancellation to try to decide what will happen going forward. The Nobel Peace Prize is announced in October.

 

AMERICAN SINGER CANCELS PERFORMANCE IN MONTREAL IN SLAVERY SHOW BEEF

OTTAWA, Ontario (AP) – American singer-songwriter Moses Sumney was to perform at the Montreal International Jazz Festival last night. But he pulled out because of the event’s ties to a show on slavery – performed by whites. Sumney criticized the festival for “SLAV,” a production he calls a form of cultural appropriation. The show has a mostly-white cast dressed as cotton pickers and field workers performing old slave songs. Sumney says “SLAV” is no different than blackface minstrels, noting “the only thing missing is black paint.” Instead of doing the jazz event, Sumney did a pair of shows last night at a Montreal club.

 

by Oscar Wells Gabriel II

Follow Oscar Wells Gabriel II on Twitter at https://twitter.com/OWGabriel2