AP Entertainment

AP Sports
August 6, 2019
Financial News
August 6, 2019
AP Entertainment

 

 

 

HARVEY WEINSTEIN CASE
NEW YORK (AP) – A federal judge in New York has dealt Harvey Weinstein a setback as he fights against charges of sexual misconduct. U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan has rejected Weinstein’s request to get an appeals court to issue a quick ruling on the type of charge he faces in one case. The disgraced movie producer’s lawyers wanted a rapid appeal on a ruling that allows him to be sued using laws that bar sex trafficking. The ruling stems from a civil lawsuit filed in 2017 by an actress. Kadian Noble alleges Weinstein molested her after encouraging her to meet him at a hotel room in Cannes (KAN), France in 2014. She says Weinstein invited her over to watch her demo reel.

 

“THE ROOKIE” – MISCONDUCT CLAIMS PROBED
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) – So, will “The Rookie” end up with more than just a rookie season? The head of ABC Entertainment says it’s too soon to tell. Karey Burke told a group of TV critics it’s premature to decide what will happen, now that co-star Afton Williamson said she’s quitting the police drama because of sexual harassment and racial discrimination she experienced during the show’s first season. Burke says the production company eOne has hired a third-party investigator to look into Williamson’s allegations. In an Instagram post Sunday, Williamson said she complained to the show’s top producer – but her complaints were ignored and weren’t passed along. Meanwhile, season two of “The Rookie” is due to launch Sept. 29.

 

R. KELLY FACING NEW CHARGES
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) – Another set of sex crimes charges have been lodged against R. Kelly. And these are in a different jurisdiction. Authorities in Minnesota have charged the R&B star with two counts of prostitution and solicitation involving a girl under 18. The charges stem from a 2001 incident in which prosecutors say Kelly met a girl at a concert. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman says the girl was trying to get an autograph from Kelly – and he obliged. But prosecutors say he also gave her a phone number. And they say when the girl called, she was invited to Kelly’s hotel, offered $200 to take off her clothes and dance with Kelly, who was also naked. An attorney for Kelly says these new allegations are “beyond absurd.”

 

“FRESH OFF THE BOAT” GETTING BACK TO WORK
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) – ABC says the people who work on “Fresh Off the Boat” are cool with the star of the series. Usually that isn’t something that has to be said out loud. But network entertainment chief Karey Burke had to – because of the stink Constance Wu raised when she complained that the sitcom had been renewed for another season. The star of “Crazy Rich Asians” says she had a passion project in the works – and groused that doing the TV show would keep her from it. Burke told TV critics during a session yesterday that Wu has apologized for her remarks – and that everyone on the sitcom has accepted her words of contrition.

 

“THE SIMPSONS” COMPOSER SUES
LOS ANGELES (AP) – The man who’d been composing the music for “The Simpsons” is suing the company that does the Fox animated series over his dismissal. Alf Clausen says he was discriminated against because of both his age – and a perceived disability. Clausen was let go from the show nearly two years ago. The lawsuit says the show told Clausen the series was “taking the music in a different direction.” Clausen, who’s 78, is suing for age discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation.

 

PIPE BOMB SENDER GETS 20 YEARS IN PRISON
NEW YORK (AP) – The Florida man who pleaded guilty to sending a series of pipe bombs to CNN, prominent Democrats and actor Robert DeNiro has been sentenced. A federal judge in New York sentenced Cesar Sayoc yesterday to 20 years in prison for mailing 16 pipe bombs days before last fall’s midterm elections. Sayoc, who has been an amateur body builder, a stripper and pizza delivery driver, apologized to his victims. He said he is “so very sorry” for what he did. Sayoc says he never meant for the bombs to go off – and authorities say the devices were incapable of causing injury or damage.

 

“MOANA” COMING TO LIVE-ACTION
NEW YORK (AP) – “The Little Mermaid” is coming out from under the sea – and onto the live stage. ABC says it will do a live production of the animated movie this fall. The production airs Nov. 5 and will star “Moana” actress Auli’i Cravalho (ow-LEE’-ee cruh-VAL’-yoh) as Ariel. Others starring in the production include Queen Latifah as Ursula and Shaggy as Sebastian, the singing crab. The Little Mermaid marks its 30th anniversary this year.

 

NEIL deGRASSE TYSON APOLOGIZES FOR TWEET
UNDATED (AP) – Neil deGrasse Tyson says he isn’t as tone-deaf as it seems he might be from a tweet he posted on Sunday. The astrophysicist says he’s sorry for tweeting that more people died in less attention-getting ways than in the mass shootings carried out in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio on Saturday. In his tweet Tyson said, “Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data.” After getting plenty of blowback online, Tyson went on Facebook to say he “miscalculated” how the tweet would be perceived.

 

by Oscar Wells Gabriel II
Follow Oscar Wells Gabriel II on Twitter at https://twitter.com/OWGabriel2

AP-WF-08-06-19 0920GMT