CYRUS AND HEMSWORTH SPLIT AFTER LESS THAN YEAR OF MARRIAGE
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth have separated after less than a year of marriage.
A representative for the singer said Saturday the pair decided a break was best while they focus on “themselves and careers.”
Cyrus and Hemsworth, who starred in “The Hunger Games” films, have been an on-and-off again couple for more than a decade.
They married in December.
The representative said the pair will remain “dedicated parents to all of their animals they share.” They requested privacy.
The entertainers both starred in the 2010 romantic drama “The Last Song.”
The split was first reported Saturday by People magazine.
UNIVERSAL CANCELS CONTROVERSIAL ‘HUNT’ IN WAKE OF SHOOTINGS
NEW YORK (AP) – Universal Pictures has canceled the planned September release of its controversial social thriller “The Hunt” in the wake of recent mass shootings and criticism from President Donald Trump.
The movie is a gory, R-rated political thriller that depicts liberal “elites” hunting people in red states for sport. Trump criticized the planned movie on Twitter Friday, without mentioning its name, saying it was intended “to inflame and cause chaos.”
Universal had already suspended the marketing campaign for the film, which stars Oscar winner Hilary Swank and is directed by Craig Zobel.
But the studio said in a statement Saturday that it had decided to cancel release altogether, saying “we understand that now is not the time” for the film.
It was due to hit theaters Sept. 27.
COSBY APPEAL TESTS OTHER ACCUSERS’ TESTIMONY IN (hash)METOO ERA
UNDATED (AP) – A Pennsylvania Superior Court panel is set to hear Bill Cosby’s appeal in what became the first celebrity trial of the (hash)MeToo era.
The review of Cosby’s sexual assault conviction comes as movie mogul Harvey Weinstein and other accused predators await trial.
Scott Berkowitz, the president of the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, says victims will be closely watching the outcome of the high-profile appeal Monday.
Cosby’s lawyers are fighting the judge’s decision to let five other accusers testify at last year’s trial. They say prosecutors used them to “promote hysteria.”
Judge Steven O’Neill says the testimony is allowed because it demonstrated Cosby’s “signature” crime pattern.
The three-judge appeals panel includes two female jurists.
The 82-year-old Cosby is serving a three- to 10-year prison term.
SOME OF ‘THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION’ CAST TO CELEBRATE FILM
MANSFIELD, Ohio (AP) – Some cast members of the “The Shawshank Redemption” movie will reunite in Ohio for the film’s 25th anniversary celebration.
The Aug. 16-18 celebration of the film shot almost entirely in and around the northern Ohio city of Mansfield will feature various events, including panel discussions with crew and cast members.
Organizers say TV personality and film critic Ben Mankiewicz will lead one discussion Friday in Mansfield at the Renaissance Theatre, where the movie premiered in 1994. It will precede a screening of the film starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.
The host of Turner Classic Movies also will moderate another discussion Saturday at the Ohio State Reformatory that served as Shawshank State Prison in the movie.
A schedule of activities can be found on the Shawshank Trail website .
JUDGE REJECTS BID FOR NEW TRIAL IN ‘MAKING A MURDERER’ CASE
MANITOWOC, Wis. (AP) – A judge has rejected a man’s bid for a new trial in a Wisconsin killing featured in the Netflix series “Making a Murderer.”
Judge Angela Sutkiewicz on Thursday denied Steven Avery’s request in the 2005 killing of photographer Teresa Halbach.
Halbach’s remains were found in the Avery family’s salvage yard. Avery argued the state turned over bones to the Halbach family without notifying the defense, but WLUK-TV reports the judge ruled that does not mean Avery should get a new trial.
The bones were given to Halbach’s family in 2011, but Avery’s attorneys were not notified until 2018. Tests were inconclusive about whether the bones were animal or human.
Avery’s attorney, Kathleen Zellner, tweeted an appeal is likely.
Aery’s nephew, Brendan Dassey, also is serving a life sentence in the killing.
NEW AMC DRAMA FOLLOWS JAPANESE AMERICAN INTERNMENT HORROR
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) – The second season of an AMC-TV drama series follows the internment of Japanese Americans during World War II and a number of bizarre deaths haunting a community.
“The Terror: Infamy” is set to premiere Monday and stars Derek Mio and original “Star Trek” cast member George Takei as they navigate the forced internment and the supernatural spirits that surround them.
Mio, who is fourth-generation Japanese American, said he liked the idea of adding a supernatural element to a historical event like internment. He says he had relatives who were forced into camps.
Takei was in a camp as a child.
From 1942 to 1945, more than 110,000 Japanese Americans were ordered to camps in California, Colorado, Idaho, Arizona, Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Arkansas, New Mexico and other sites.
CASEY AFFLECK EXPLORES PARENTING IN THE APOCALYPSE
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Casey Affleck is back in the director’s chair with the slow-burn apocalyptic thriller “Light of My Life.” Inspired by films like “Children of Men,” “Light of My Life” is about a father and his young daughter trying to survive a world where women have been wiped out by disease. Canadian breakout Anna Pniowsky plays his daughter. It’s Affleck’s first time behind the camera since the 2010 film “I’m Still Here” that led to civil lawsuits for breach of contract from two women and a sexual harassment suit from one of them. The suits were settled out of court and Affleck apologized last year in an interview with The Associated Press for allowing and contributing to an unprofessional environment.”Light of My Life” is now playing in theaters and on demand.
FOR ZACK AND SHIA, A BUDDY MOVIE BECOMES A REAL FRIENDSHIP
NEW YORK (AP) – Six years ago a pair of hopeful filmmakers told an actor with Down syndrome they would make him a movie star. This weekend, the film they made together, “The Peanut Butter Falcon” opens in theaters.
The film stars Zack Gottsagen as a young man with Down syndrome who breaks out of his assisted living home and embarks on a “Huck Finn”-like adventure across the North Carolina outer banks. Along the way, he joins up with a destitute crab fisherman played by Shia LaBeouf.
It’s a buddy comedy that has turned real. Gottsagen and LaBeouf became close friends in the movie’s making. LaBeouf, who was arrested for public drunkenness during the movie’s making, credits Gottsagen with helping turn his life around.
‘HOBBS & SHAW’ REPEATS AT NO. 1 AGAINST SLEW OF NEWCOMERS
LOS ANGELES (AP) – Audiences have helped the “Fast & Furious” spinoff “Hobbs & Shaw” take another lap at No. 1 even with an onslaught of new movies this weekend.
Universal Pictures estimates Sunday that “Hobbs & Shaw” added $25.4 million from North American theaters, bringing its domestic total to $108.5 million.
Second place went to the PG-13 rated “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark” with a better than expected $20.8 million. Close behind in third was “The Lion King” with $20 million in weekend five.
Newcomer “Dora and the Lost City of Gold” placed fourth with $17 million, while the tearjerker “The Art of Racing in the Rain” opened in sixth to $8.1 million.
The Melissa McCarthy and Tiffany Haddish mob pic “The Kitchen” flopped in seventh with $5.5 million.