AP Entertainment

AP Sports
October 30, 2018
Team Hardee’s in Jefferson to award check to Ashe County VA
October 30, 2018
AP Entertainment

 

 

 

 

AM Prep-Segue

 

SUSPECT IN PIPE BOMBINGS HAD OTHER TARGETS

MIAMI (AP) – Authorities say the man suspected of sending a batch of pipe bombs to opponents of President Donald Trump apparently had other targets in mind. An official tells The Associated Press that suspect Cesar Sayoc kept a list of elected officials and others who investigators believe were potential targets. Even as Sayoc yesterday made his first court appearance since his arrest last week, another suspicious package turned up. Bomb squads were called to an Atlanta post office to check out a package sent to CNN. It was similar to pipe bombs sent to different targets last week. Meanwhile, investigators continue to build a case against Sayoc. They say they have recovered soldering equipment, a printer and stamps like those used on the package bombs. Meanwhile one of Sayoc’s attorneys urged people not to rush to judgment based on media reports. Daniel Aaronson says when it comes to the case, “right now, we know very, very, very little.”

PRESIDENT TRUMP – MEDIA

WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump continues his war of words with the news media, despite calls for him to tone down his rhetoric. Over the weekend, Trump complained that “fraudulent” reporting was fueling anger in the country and declared – once again – that the media was the “true Enemy of the People.” He has since said his comments were misconstrued – and that only the “Fake News (Media)” is the real enemy of the people. Press secretary Sara Huckabee Sanders has rejected suggestions that Trump’s harsh words have contributed to the violence that has dotted the political landscape in the past week.

Meanwhile Trump is to visit Pittsburgh today, where a gunman killed 11 people at a synagogue this past Saturday.

 

NEWS PHOTOGRAPHER LEAVING INDUSTRY AMID PUBLIC HOSTILITY

NEW YORK (AP) – President Donald Trump’s rants against the news media are usually aimed at big mainstream companies like CNN and The New York Times. But some of those who aren’t in the national spotlight say they’re feeling the fallout from the presidential criticism. TV news photographer Lori Bentley-Law is quitting journalism after 24 years – and says one reason is the hostility she gets from the public. In a blog, Bentley-Law mentioned incidents in which she has been upbraided in public by people. And she says the responses she’s received from fellow journalists since posting her blog indicate other news people are getting similar responses from the public.

 

 

MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY – FIRST RESPONDERS

HOUSTON (AP) – Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch? Just ask some of the first responders who were treated to lunch by Matthew McConaughey over the weekend. The Oscar-winning actor surprised firefighters, police officers and 911 operators in Texas on Sunday with a roasted turkey meal for National First Responders Day. McConaughey says he wanted to do something for his home state, Texas and for Houston, which was blasted by Hurricane Harvey last year. Houston mayor Sylvester Turner says McConaughey embodies the spirit of the region because of his generosity – and because he never forgot his roots.

 

 

N.H. STATE LAWMAKER INVOLVED IN ASSAULT CASE OVER PORN FILM

LOS ANGELES (AP) – It isn’t your garden variety political scandal, that’s for sure. A New Hampshire state lawmaker facing a civil lawsuit claiming that he assaulted his business partner – over how his scenes in a porn film came out. Jonathan Carter has sued Rep. Frank Sapareto, claiming the lawmaker assaulted him after he felt his porno scenes went poorly. Police issued Sapareto a citation for a misdemeanor battery investigation when he was in California in June. But prosecutors declined to file criminal charges. Sapareto denies the assault allegations, denies involvement in in the porn industry – and says he is the victim of an extortion attempt aimed at derailing his political career.

 

 

FORMER UFC FIGHTER ARRESTED ON DUI SUSPICION

LAS VEGAS (AP) – Authorities in Las Vegas are suggesting former UFC fighter Stephan Bonnar has been hitting the bottle. Bonnar has been arrested on suspicion of DUI after allegedly driving recklessly on a Las Vegas freeway. The Nevada Highway Patrol says Bonnar was booked Sunday on a DUI charge, as well as charges of resisting an officer – and traffic offenses. After the ex-fighter was pulled over, a trooper reported smelling booze on Bonnar as he tried handcuffing him. Bonnar was a 2013 inductee into the UFC’s Hall of Fame. He hasn’t fought in the UFC since 2014.

 

 

by Oscar Wells Gabriel II

Follow Oscar Wells Gabriel II on Twitter at https://twitter.com/OWGabriel2

AP-WF-10-30-18 0716GMT