Please join me in thanking Scott Satterfield and his staff for their many years of service to Appalachian State University and our football program. What Scott has helped our program accomplish as head coach is remarkable, with three straight Sun Belt Championships and three straight bowl wins heading into our upcoming trip to the New Orleans Bowl.
We have already commenced a national search to find the next leader of App State Football. When you have a winning program, there is going to be outside interest in your coaches, as has been the case often since I arrived at Appalachian. I can assure you that we have a plan for this search process to find the right fit who understands our culture to lead this program.
We wish Scott and his family all the best moving forward. We will continue to build upon the proud history and tradition of Appalachian Football.
I am excited about the future of our football program. This year we reached Top 25 status and won the inaugural Sun Belt championship game on our home field. We have a great young nucleus of student-athletes returning. We have the privilege to represent a great university with a proud football tradition and a passionate fan base. This is a highly attractive job.
Among the key qualities I am looking for in the next leader of our football program are …
· Commitment to the athletics department’s core values of academic integrity, social responsibility, competitive excellence and a world-class experience
· Fosters a culture of student-athlete well-being and a positive student-athlete experience
· Recruits student-athletes who are successful academically and athletically
· Has a reputation of high character and community engagement
· Has strong program core values and a clear vision for comprehensive excellence
· Commitment to student-athlete development both on and off the playing field
I look forward to introducing our next head football coach to App Nation very soon. Thank you for your continued support.
As always, it’s Great to be a Mountaineer!
– Doug Gillin, Director of Athletics