Latest North Carolina news, sports, business and entertainment at 11:20 a.m. EDT
Woman arrested in North Carolina arcade shooting death
SALISBURY, N.C. (AP) – A woman has been arrested in the shooting death of a man at a North Carolina arcade over the weekend.
Local media outlets reported that 42-yea-rold Dedric Michelle Mason of Salisbury was arrested Tuesday and charged with second-degree murder.
Forty-five-year-old James Christopher Davis was shot and wounded early Saturday at the Fishzilla Arcade. He died about two hours later in a hospital.
Mason is being held in the Rowan County jail. She has a court appearance scheduled Thursday. It was not known if she has a lawyer yet.
Police have not released a motive for the shooting.
2 women die, 3 children hurt in wreck in North Carolina
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (AP) – Two women have died and three children were hurt in a wreck in North Carolina.
Winston-Salem Police Lt. Brian Dobey told local media the wreck happened late Tuesday morning.
Dobey says 42-year-old Latonya Marie Carter and 38-year-old Shameka Renee Carter, both of Winston-Salem, died in the wreck on the wet highway. Dobey said the women were sisters.
Police say the car Latonya Carter was driving crossed the highway and hit a van. Both women died at the scene. Dobey said both women were wearing seat belts.
The driver of the van was not seriously injured.
One of the children in the van and the two children in the car were taken to a hospital. There was no word on their condition.
SHOOTING DEATH SENTENCE
South Carolina man gets life in killing 2 North Carolina men
GAFFNEY, S.C. (AP) – A South Carolina man has been sentenced to life in prison for shooting and killing two North Carolina men nearly three years ago.,
Prosecutor Barry Barnette said in a news release that 36-year-old Steven Eugene Parker of Blacksburg was convicted in Gaffney this week of killing the men and trying to burn their bodies to cover up the crime.
Two Gastonia, North Carolina, men died in the 2015 shooting. They were 35-year-old Aron Lucas Young and 43-year-old Jerry Farmer.
Prosecutors say Parker shot and killed the men and then drove them in a pickup truck to a rural location in York County and set the truck on fire.
Another man, 48-year-old Donald Edward Creswell Jr. of Blacksburg is awaiting trial on similar charges.
City: Financial donations needed most in tornado recovery
GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) – A North Carolina city says it has distributed supplies to those affected by a tornado but now needs financial donations and volunteers.
News outlets report Greensboro Assistant City Manager Chris Wilson said Tuesday that financial support for those repairing homes or finding new ones is needed most. He says people are asked to consider contributing to tornado relief funds or signing up for one of many volunteer efforts.
The city said in a statement that thanks to residents and businesses, Greensboro and its nonprofit partners have been able to give supplies to those impacted by the April 15 tornado.
Wilson says in the statement the city has the necessary supplies and warehouse space is reaching capacity, so financial help will be the biggest need going forward.
CAMP CO-FOUNDER-ASSAULT CHARGES
North Carolina summer camp co-founder faces assault charges
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) – The co-founder of a former North Carolina summer camp is charged with indecent liberties with a child in connection with allegations of sexual assault.
Local news outlets report authorities say 52-year-old Ricardo Mata was arrested in March after police say the parents of an 8-year-old girl told them Mata had sexually assaulted her while she attended his camp, PlaySpanish, in 2017. The girl was 7 at the time.
PlaySpanish closed last summer.
Mata was arrested again last week after authorities say he took indecent liberties with another child last fall. He’s in the Mecklenburg County jail. It’s not known if he has an attorney.
The Charlotte Observer reports at the time of Mata’s first arrest, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement placed a hold on him, meaning he could be deported.
Government: Wild red wolf population could soon be wiped out
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Federal wildlife officials say the only wild population of endangered red wolves is unsustainable and could be wiped out within years.
The prediction comes in a five-year review of the status of the species released Tuesday by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The report says only about 40 wolves remain in the wild in North Carolina, down from a peak of nearly 120 a decade ago. Another 230 wolves live in captivity.
The main purpose of the report was to evaluate the wolves’ endangered status, which it says should be maintained. More detailed recommendations for conservation efforts will come in a separate document.
Environmentalists contend the decline is due to neglect by federal officials who have halted releases of captive-born wolves and other actions that bolstered the wild population.
MISSING WOMAN-SEARCH Help sought after woman disappears from North Carolina motel
(Information from: The Wilson Daily Times, http://www.wilsondaily.com)
WILSON, N.C. (AP) – The family of a Pennsylvania woman is seeking the public’s help after she disappeared after a stay at a North Carolina motel.
The Wilson Times reports local police say 32-year-old Sianeh Togbah Sherman stayed at a Sleep Inn near Interstate 95 on April 9. Family members say they were last in contact with her on April 10, and said she was in good spirits. The family says she was pursuing a modeling career.
Sherman is the mother of a 3-year-old and a 5-year-old. She is from Atglen, about 55 miles (88 km) west of Philadelphia.
Officers found Sherman’s belongings in the hotel room. Police say Sherman was driving a 2005 Volkswagen Touraeg with a Pennsylvania license plate.
Wilson police are working with the Pennsylvania State Police in the case.
Lawyers wrap up case blaming pork giant for ghastly smells
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – Jurors in North Carolina are getting a roundup of testimony in a lawsuit filed by neighbors of an industrial-scale swine operation.
The 10 plaintiffs contend that open-air cesspools of hog waste inflict intense, putrid smells on them that can’t be removed from clothing or household fabrics.
Lawyers for Virginia-based Smithfield Foods’ hog-production division who closed their case Tuesday maintain that the smells, traffic and noise don’t hurt the neighbors’ ability to enjoy their own property.
The jury has heard three weeks of testimony. This is the first of a series of test cases by more than 500 neighbors against the low-cost, high-volume methods used by the Chinese-owned company.
Lawyers for the neighbors say alternative methods don’t cause such a nuisance, but the company uses open-air cesspools because they’re cheap.
This story has been corrected to show that this lawsuit involves a portion, not all, of the more than 500 neighbors suing under nuisance claims.